-----

"Must phosphate coated wire be oily?"

2004

I am buying small phosphate coated 2kg coils of mild steel annealed 1.6mm wire from the far east. When the wire arrives we find that it has an excessive coating of oil. Is there any technical reason for the oil on the wire? I have seen other similar wire with a beautiful finish but with no oil at all. The manufacturer tells me that the oil is part of the process. Is this true?

Mike Keen
Construction - Bristol, Somerset, United Kingdom
^

2004

What type of wire is it? If the wire is of small diameter your supplier may draw it in oil. If it's ferrous is the oil for protection? But he should be able to clean inline, without much problems, and then passivate the surface.

Colin Steward
- England
^