-----

"Problems with orange peel on stainless"

2004

I work as production manager for a company that produces stainless steel parts through photo chemical etching. We use Ferric Chloride as the etchant and regenerate with Sodium Chlorate and HCL. The problem we seem to be having is an "Orange Peel" texture that happens in the pre-etch process. (Shaving down the metal thickness) This is happening mostly on 400 Series Stainless (420 & 410) and the only explanation I am getting is "Bad Acid". Can anyone explain to me what causes this?

Connie Ragsdale
Photo Chemical Etching - Russellville, Arkansas, USA
^

2004

I realize that you are trying to etch the stainless steel, but these chloride solutions are very hard on the stainless steel and can cause long term damage and corrosion of the surface. HCl in its inhibited form is sometimes used on stainless steel, but I do not like this either.

I am not sure that you can ever use HCl or Ferric chloride on these poor grades of corrosion resistant steel safely.

lee kremer
lee kremer sig
Lee Kremer

^