topic 29370 page 3

Marking system for rings

page     1     2     3

Q. Hi. I got a gold colored ring that has stamps and read as follows "10 HO1" -- what does this mean? It's gold colored and got a square stone on the front that looks like a soldier?

Bradley brown
- lebanon Pennsylvania USA

Q. Hi Sir, my gave me a set of vintage jewelry which has a set of gemstones (probably amethysts and diamonds). At the back of the ring, as well as on the earrings and the brooch are two markings -- 18k and what appears to be PO.C.

29370-9 29370-10

Would like your opinion on what the PO.C stands for.

Sarah Benitez
- Cagayan De Oro, Philippines

Q. I have a small pendant and is stamped with what looks like a diamond then 10k TOP, the other end is stamped with 10k and a Star symbol. What do these mean?

Leah tyler
- van buren arkansas usa

Q. I was recently given an old ring, that says its 14k (white) gold. There is another marking on the ring, which I cannot seem to find the meaning for anywhere online. It's A and a copyright symbol. Does anyone know what this might mean?

Katie Ryan
- Kansas City, Missouri, USA

Q. I am buying a necklace from someone and on one side it says 14kt italy and on other side it has a T with circle stamped. Is this real gold?

Marie Noland
- Douglas, Georgia

Warman's Jewelry: Identification and Price Guide

A. Hi Marie. If it's stamped 14 kt, it claims to be made of 14 kt solid real gold.

Could it be bearing forged or counterfeit stampings? Well, yes, anything is vaguely possible, so you have to judge from the totality of the circumstances whether having it tested is practical and worthwhile.

If you like it and it's $25, buy it. If it's $250 and from what you reasonably believe to be a reliable source, and weighs in the vicinity of 1/4 ounce, buy it. If it's $2500 or sounds shady, you need to have it checked first :-)

Q. I have a necklace marked 10k and on other side says "Brad Flea Pat. pending".
Whats does it mean?

kayci hol
- Atlantic City, New Jersey

Q. I have a gold ring with a 1 carat solitaire diamond in it. The engraving inside says 18k gel or sel. The gold looks as if it's got fading away and going silver or possibly white gold. Can someone explain this ?

amber serrano
- pomona, California usa

A. Hi Amber. It's marked 18 kt, so it's gold not sterling silver. I can think of two scenarios:
1. The ring was actually made of white gold and the jeweler plated it with yellow gold (a very poor idea).
2. The ring has been exposed to mercury.

You haven't yet told us whether the ring is a week old or 30 years old, but more info would help.

Q. I'm writing about the 18k ring with the gel or sel engraving. I'm not sure how old the ring is. But I did find out that it wasn't exposed to mercury. I wonder what the gel or sel means though.

amber serrano [returning]
- pomona, California

A. Hi again. You can look in hallmarking books at the library or on hallmarking sites on the internet, but with tens of thousands of hallmarks, and in as much as anyone anywhere can at any time engrave a ring (just as workers often engrave their tools with their initials), the chance of anyone being able to help you with initials you can't even clearly read is next to zero. Sorry.

Q. I have a yellow gold ring with pearl and leaf setting. It says 14K on the inside, and then upside down, next to it, what seems like three letters and then + Co. Due to the three letter hallmark being rubbed off, I can't ID it. Can you help?

29370-11a 29370-11b 29370-11c 29370-11d

Diana Cheang
- Arlington, Virginia, US

Hi, my name is Kate and I recently inherited a ring from my lat grandmother with the markings "10K PON" I know what the 10K means but I am confused as to the meaning of PON and cannot find it anywhere on the internet, can you please help me?

29370-12a 29370-12b

Kate Marian
- Washington DC, USA

I recently purchased a sterling ring marked 925 with an emerald cut London color blue topaz stone. The ring is also marked with a "CA" or "GA" inside. Any idea what these initials mean? I love the ring!

29370-13

Kim

Kim Voket
- Woodbury, Connecticut

Just Bought 2 cttw Stud Earrings in 14k wg Mossanite

Q. I just bought a pair of earrings and I was checking for the proper gold marking and on the post it says 14k SS; the SS is overlapping, And the backs are real tight like plated earring, and also there is an abrasion that also has me concerned that the basket and post on these stud earrings are not 14k pure gold. What do you think it means?   :)

Leslie Woolford
Jewellery fanatic - Rancho Cucamonga, California, USA

A. Hi Leslie. It sounds to me like the decorative part of the earrings are 14k gold and the studs are stainless steel. I don't think that's unusual. Looking at my wife's yellow gold stud earrings, some have stainless posts and some have gold posts; but all of the posts look too small for marking. Both yellow gold and stainless steel are probably hypoallergenic.

Q. I have a ring with a single diamond the 7 and an arrow on the inside of the band ... is it real?

nikki terry
- lubbock Texas

Q. I found a ring with either a double s or a snake symbol, followed by PLAT. Do you have any ideas on what the symbol could be and the meaning?

Brenda

Brenda Carter
- Bakersfield, California, United States

Q. This opal is set in gold but I don't know if it's real; it's marked with this fish like mark. What does it mean. I put pics in; hope you can see them good enough. Thanks valerie

valerie wright
- salem oregon, U.S

----
Ed. note: We received no pics, Valerie. Please attach them in email to mooney@finishing.com. What does your local jeweler say?

Q. Hi, my husband just got me a new wedding ring that has 10498 air on it what does this mean?

savannah walkup
- phillips Wisconsin usa

Q. Found an earring that sits in a queen crown looking mount with 8 prongs holding it in. Diamond is about 1 carat and is antique looking; the mount is either white gold or silver. Can't figure out the engraving -- it's 3 letters though.

amber serrano
- pomona, California

Q. Gold ring stamped GER84

darlene justynski
- Woodbridge New Jersey USA

I have recently been giving what i assume is a three small diamond ring.

Inside it reads: B&SI9 180!&PT G

I would love to know what this means,
Thanks in advance for your help :D

Megan Allison
- portsmouth, hampshire, england

Q. Hi. I have a silver ring and inside it says DL inside an oval can you Telme what that means please

William adorno
- Revere, Massachusetts, u.s

I was recently given an engagement ring with 925 on it. I know that those numbers mean that it's sterling silver.
My question is this - on the other side of the band - there is what looks to be an upside down ?..
Does anyone know what that means?
Thank you!

Bambi Ashley
- Prineville, Oregon, USA

Q. I have a ring that has .925 which I know if silver but then it also had the marking cn and a m inside a diamond. What does that mean? can you please email me the answer... Thank you!

Teresa Abraham
- Tampa, Florida, USA

November 25, 2014 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I just bought this for my daughter, it has a c a s steel on the inside, what does this mean?

dave morrow
- orillia

Q. Hi, I have just purchased second hand a gold locket it has 375 in one place and GA in another can you please tell me what GA stands for? Cheers

Sue Wyatt
- New Zealand

Q. I have a question, I was given a bracelet that has heart shaped diamonds and square diamonds in between the hearts and it says 925 fas, are the diamonds real?

Makayla Parish
- Seabrook, Tx, USA

29370-14

Q. Can you tell me what this hallmark is? Thanks.

Karen doughty
- Brookwood Alabama usa

!! Folks!! If anyone wants to D-I-S-C-U-S-S the markings & hallmarks on each other's jewelry with fellow enthusiasts, we're very happy to offer you this space so you can have some fun at it, and the google traffic so you'll have lots of company. But the focus of our website is metal finishing, not jewelry markings, and I won't research anything further for you myself :-)

So it's gotten very silly as the thread has deteriorated now to people not reading it, not discussing the subject, not making any effort to interact with the 75 people in line in front of them -- just posting their own markings, often not taking the time to write even a single complete sentence, but posting a sentence fragment :-(

There's no value to this page being an endless list of unanswered questions, so we won't be posting any more markings unless people start actually discussing the subject, and try to help others rather than just adding their own markings to an already ridiculously long list of unanswered questions. So please don't post any markings or questions about your own jewelry if you're not also helping other readers because we will discard your letter. Thanks for your understanding that we're all just wasting each others time as things stand.

thumbs up signUpon coming to the end of this forum thread, I must confess I no longer felt like continuing to LMFAO. The stupidity of humanity on the whole is awe-inspiring, isn't it, Mr. Mooney?? I applaud your patience and valiant efforts to assist the hallmark-seekers.

Hopefully, I can do the same, at least in two notable queries:

"with an arrow through it" -> I, also, had unsuccessfully researched (online), a ring thus marked. Upon asking Tony Farwell, of Farwell's Fine Jewelry (here in Yelm, WA) what this marking meant, he replied that it was merely one of the zillions of marker's marks found on jewelry. In the future, he said, I could usually distinguish marker's marks for myself because they commonly follow the usual "10k", "14k", etc.

"A/C" -> Again, I had a different piece stamped this, took it to Tony and was told it is a marker's mark.

IF U WANNA KNOW WHAT THE STAMP IN YOUR JEWELRY MEANS, (and Google doesn't readily resolve your questions), MAY I HUMBLY SUGGEST YOU FOLKS GET OFF YOUR COMPUTERS AND GO ASK YOUR LOCAL JEWELER?!?!

***if the whole "finishing.com" part of this web addy wasn't your first clue, as it was mine when Google misdirected me here -> -> THIS IS A SITE DEDICATED TO THE FINISHING OF METALS!!! Let's leave the kind-hearted Mr. Mooney et. al. alone now, shall we, Hallmarkers and take our topic to the appropriate boards/forums??*** :) LOL

Sarah Kellas
- Yelm, Washington, USA

A. If your gold ring says 14, 16, or 18k just know that it's real.
It's only fake if there's a "p" behind that, okay people?

And all real silver rings will have "925" inside.
Now for those of you wanting to know what "pat" or something like that means, that is just the trademark.

Adela Garcia
- St.Louis

A. Actually let's start with gold... 16k or 16kt is very rare and usually vintage. But your basic goods are 10k, 14k and 18k. Anything over 14k would be way too soft and likely to bend and break. They always say 10k is best to get. So if you see a K, KT or KP after the number that piece is likely made of solid gold. Or if it is European then you might see 583 or 585 which stands for the same thing.

Now if not real gold and it is gold plated or gold filled these markings will be on there in addition... GP, GEP, RGP, HGE or GF. So example, 14K GP is actually gold plated and the karat number means the purity of the plating, but not of the whole piece. Of course anything that is not stamped or even stamped real may not be. You can take it to a vendor or jeweler and have them do an acid test on it. It is a little scratch test and it will let you know if it is real or not by showing how much gold it contains.

Now for silver. There are 3 different ways it can be marked for purity. The stamp will show 925, S925 or .925. It can also say Sterling Silver or have a Lion Hallmark. If not real silver they will say Silver Plate, or EP (electroplated) or EPNS (electroplated nickel silver).

You have 5 types of common silver used.
1. .999 Purest form available --fine silver
2. .958 Britannia Silver -- produced from 1697 to 1720 (rare)
3. .950 Sterling Silver -- usually found in antique pieces and silver from France.
4. .925 and up Sterling Silver... stamped on the front ring at the right.
5. .835 A common European silver blend

Obviously we see .925 mostly. But just in case you have a rare find.

PAT ..stands for patent and it refers to a grant made by a government that confers with the creator that had invented that jewelry or design to have the sole right to make, use and sell that invention for a set period of time. So, with that being said it is some work on your part to Google Patent Numbers...and then for that Patent number you look at the Pat Date to see what year it was created. Same as with any special markings.

I think someone had asked (not sure) what KTF was. If this is a repeat answer, sorry. But it is Vintage Trifari Jewelry. The company was known as Trifari, Krussman and Fishel. They signed virtually all of their pieces during the 1920s and 1930s. They just use K really big T and F. There was some copies made till the copyright law took place around 1955. And I believe Liz Claiborne bought them out in 2000 and moved it overseas.

Hope some of this helped. Good luck with any Hallmarks you may have. You might have a good piece on your hands!

Ann Kohanow
- Irving, Texas USA

thumbs up signThanks Sarah, thanks Adela, thanks Ann!

Q. I have a diamond ring it has .925 on the inside with another symbol beside it. It's a square with lines in it? I'm really confused.

amanda skinner
- lewistown Pennsylvania

A. Hi Amanda. Sterling silver is 92.5% pure silver, i.e., .925. So sterling silver is often engraved with ".925" rather than the word "Sterling".

As I and others have said many times on this thread, it's probably hopeless to expect anyone to know what "a square with lines in it" means because there are tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of such maker's marks. Still a jeweler can probably tell you basically what you've got in a flash.

29370-15

Q. I have a ring with blue stone in middle and around edges with yellowish stones around in between inside it has 18KT HGE with a left aiming arrow with two T's in it and a round makers stamp (that's hard to make out details on it). PLEASE HELP ASAP.

Mary S [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
I'm collecting - Ironton, Missouri, U. S.

A. Hi Mary. A jeweler can probably tell you what the stones are or if they're glass, and would have told you the ring is electroplated. Even a highly experienced jeweler probably will not be able to tell you what "a left aiming arrow with two T's in it" means because there are tens of thousands of maker's marks (google says if it's actually a "U" rather than two tees, it's the fairly common Uncas brand though). The primary value for your granddaughter is that she'll be the 4th generation to have it. These vintage cocktail rings have little monetary value, but they're cool to keep in the family.

***I WANT TO HELP HIM AND ANYONE ELSE WHO LANDS HERE VIA GOOGLE SEARCH***

The site owner is offering his time and knowledge on simple subjects that can be googled, that's how most of us ended up here, myself included.

I was trying to figure out the history of the THAILAND marks in rings and their metal purity. (Still clueless but I'm about to help a lot of you for him).

After reading through the entire thread I wanted to bang my head into a wall for the poor fella surely having "Groundhogs Day" (movie) every time there is a new post.

OK HERE WE GO I JUST SPENT HOURS COLLECTING THIS PLEASE USE IT!

First I want to address the Answer given by Adela Garcia - St.Louis regarding the gold & silver markings:

***DO NOT TRASH YOUR RINGS WITH A "P" FOLLOWING 14K,18K,22K(insert numberK)***

- 14KP stands for "karat plumb" gold---meaning exactly 14K....no more, no less. KP does NOT, I repeat does NOT mean plated or fake.
- Gold stamped with the KP is guaranteed to have a gold purity not less than indicated but could possibly be slightly more pure. So, for example, a bracelet stamped 14KP is guaranteed to contain 58.33% gold or more. Another bracelet stamped 585KP is guaranteed to contain 58.5% pure gold or more. The KP stamp is designed to eliminate the non standard caratage tolerances that some markets allow for. In the USA, for example, gold can be sold at up to 0.5 carat more than it's actual gold content. So, a ring marked 14K can contain just 13.5 carats of gold.
- Things to consider about lack of markings: the piece may have been repaired/resized/worn enough to rub away the hallmark in the case of it being worn down you should be able to see an obvious taper from the sides of the band to the bottom which will be thinner that the rest.

- ALL SILVER RINGS ARE NOT MARKED 925!!! Especially with Native American jewelry! It is a dead give away to all Native American jewelry collectors that 925 usually means it is from Mexico, the natives used "Sterling" and early pieces are not marked at all.
- I own a warriors cuff from 1910 with no purity mark or maker mark... why? Native jewelry was traditionally made for the tribe only and the symbols were meant to protect the person wearing it. Later when the railroad was built they started making items for the white people, this helped them and didn't discredit their true pieces bc the pieces sold in railroad shops were mass produced.
- Two other marks on Native Jewelry are "German Silver" this is not silver it is actually several metals mixed together and then plated and "COIN SILVER" coin silver is circa 1900 and it 90% silver.
- "SS" can be confusing Bc also used for stainless steel. (Sterling)
- "STG" (Sterling)
- "Stg. Sil." (Sterling)
- Other silver marks: keep in mind as previously mentioned these are XXX/1000 : 925/1000 = 92.5% pure... here we go:
- 800
- 830
- 835
- 900
- 950
- 999
- 999.9

The United States does not use hallmarks. However, many countries with far greater histories of silver-smithing employ or did employ at one time, a complex hallmarking system. There are a number of excellent guides available on the internet that can assist you in identifying a particular hallmark. Go here: 925-1000.com.

Ok this is wearing me out but I'm pushing on. I think I will leave this as a silver post and do a gold later.

Silver Plated jewelry often does not have any mark on it anywhere that would indicate it was silver plated. Occasionally you will, however, see the following marks:
"SP" - meaning Silver Plate
"Plate" - more common on flatware and table pieces
"EP" - meaning electroplated
"Quadruple Plate" - allegedly meaning the piece went through electrolysis four times
"EPNS" - meaning electroplated nickel silver
"S80" - this is a mark that appears on a lot of Chinese silver colored jewelry that is often also marked 925. This is not silver jewelry. It is merely plated with "925" Sterling Silver. 'S80 Silver' is apparently a plating compound in many emerging market countries.

Oh my goodness I'm wiped out....

This is where I copied most of the info from (minus the native). There are more examples and Honestly.... I'm too tired to detail it out.

I hope I have helped at least one of you.

Go here: http://blog.hunterridgejewelry.com/2014/06/27/the-difference-between-silver-sterling-silver-900-silver-800-silver-alpaca-nickel-silver-and-silver-plated-jewelry/

Katie Taylor
- OKC, Oklahoma USA

thumbs up sign Thanks very much, Katie. I run a website with 50,000 threads about metal finishing but sometimes, as in this case, a thread gets both off-topic and quite busy.

The one thing in your posting which I think may be not quite accurate is "Quadruple Plate". While I originally believed that it meant the same thing as you did, here is a posting by a knowledgeable reader, copied from letter 44569 which claims it refers to silver plating presumably 4 times thicker/heavier than some minimum --

A. Quadruple plate contained 8 tr.oz. of silver plate per gross (144 pieces) of teaspoons. The plating was about 1.2 mils thick (.0012"). In 1975, quadruple plate was still being produced, mainly for places like hotel restaurants.

Chris Owen
- Nevada, Missouri, USA

29370-16

Hello- I came across this information/resource on e-bay, originally shared by aumiagoldandsilverjewelry. I hope the information contained here helps to answer some of your questions. =>

Elizabeth Mongillo
- Berlin, Connecticut

Q. I have a gold ring with initials and A 15 at the bottom inside the ring has inside is stamped with M.JAK do you know what this means?

Connie Curtis
- Valley Springs California usa

Q. Does anyone know who the maker of this mark is? A/M

sandra salvador
- Gadsden, Alabama USA

29370-17

Q. I have this lovely ladies ring - with black elongated stone and it is marked inside S.U.K. no other markings on it at all - it seems to be silver maybe Mexican or ??? it has a lovely design on the outer part and a super nice setting.
Just looked closer and there is a small stamp but blacked over hard to read near the S.U.K. marking it looks like a number possibly 925?

Frank Deturse
- Toronto ontario Canada

Q. Hello, I have a ring that is marked on the inside as follows; C (circled as if the copyright c) then separately another c that is circled but larger than the 1st, like an initial then a w also circled as if an initial and then 900 pt. The ring is is wide band, the body of which is open cut work 5 petal flowers with stones (diamonds) it was left to me by me aunt, what do I have? Any idea? comments, thoughts are most appreciated. Maria

Maria Goncalves
- Somerset County, New Jersey U.S.A.

A. Frank: your ring is probably sterling silver.
A. Maria: your ring is probably platinum.

Neil Bell
Red Sky Plating

Albuquerque, New Mexico
red sky banner ad

Here's another 18 questions, just a partial sampling of those submitted in the last 30 days. It's gotten rather silly I'm afraid :-(

Q. I have a gold ring with inside markings that I can't make out other then a circle with a capital A inside the circle.
Can anyone help me with this ring.

Kathi Spears
- Pocahontas, Arkansas, USA

Q. I have a ring that I purchased in an auction. It's stamped with "14k rt". What does the rt stand for?

Jackie Colonna
- Carlsbad, California USA

What does the TM refer to? its engraved just before the 925

thx

Sameer Agherdien
aquarist - Port Elizabeth, south Africa

Q. What does CR1K© mean on the inside of my 10k gold ring? It has several small diamond and a moderate size ruby.

Andi Breedlove
- Hazlehurst, Georgia USA

Q. My ring has 925 on the inside however, I can't tell what the symbol is behind it. Can you please help me?

29370-18a   29370-18b  

Stefanie Turner
- Rome, Georgia United States

Q. I have a silver ring that is stamp 18K GE A with circle around it what does it mean?

Misty Sleep
- Topeka, Kansas,usa

Q. I have a white gold ring that has no gems just a band, but it also says 155 on it. Can you please tell me what that means?

skye singleton
- Sedro Woolley, Washington, USA

Q. Hi i have a gold ring that says ADI 995 china CZ on it. What does this mean?

Tyler Reaves
- Tucson, Arizona USA

Q. I just bought a ring from the $2 box at local 2nd hand store. I don't normally but it caught my eye on my way to a warm coat and so pretty and shiny. Anyway when I got home I noticed that there is a mark on outside of the band it is a bit warn but I think it's a 91, 61, or even a gl but the last mark looks like it could be a 5,2,s. Oh I don't know,I think I am more curious as to why a mark would be on the outside.. I am sorry to bother you over probably nothing, but if you have any ideas I would love to hear them. Thank you

Debby Healey
Care for elderly with Alzhiemers - Chesterland, Ohio, U.S.A.

Q. I have bought a white gold diamond ring, markings
Are 375 on one side then 10k on the other, there is no diamond stamp , there is a 417TGGC stamped on it.
Have no idea of the meanings

Juliana chappell
- Hilperton wiltshire England

Q. I have set of earrings that are stamped 925 along with the letters sold. we all know what 925 stands for, but what about the SLD?

James Coffman
- Topeka, Kansas,united states

29370-20

Q. I have a silver ring & it looks like rope & it is "twisted" in 3 different ways. Can anyone please tell me what it stands for? I have a photo. =>

Thank you!

Linda Joyce Caughron
Personal - Bartlett, Tennessee - USA

Q. I have a ring that is an antique and it has a stamp on it that I am unable to find online what it means. Maybe someone can help me out and better explain the meaning. Possibly maybe the maker stamp? It has a 14k stamp on it as well. Please help. Thank you!
SN RLL

Nicole quintero
- Torrance california

29370-19

Q. Hello! I have a hallmark stamp on my engagement ring that looks like a beaver tail with 14k and D050 on the other side =>

Christy Parks
- Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania, USA

Q. Hi, I have a set of engagement ring and band no Stamped it's a yellow ring but I'm confused of checking what metal it is? It was acid tested from 10k,14k,18k and no reaction then I used acid for 22k and it was fade after few seconds. I want to make sure what it is so I pour the whole 14k acid in a plastic cup and left the ring inside whole night and it turned in to a light yellow color in the morning (no green) what metal is this?and additional when I rubbed into a stone it's a white color metal
one day I cleaned it with a metal cleaning solution and it turned back to a deep shiny yellow color
Can you pls tell me if this metal is gold or not? Thank you

Adore Meyers
- Maryland

Q. White 14k ring with diamonds. Band inside says EDS-7 and 1 with a . then a line under it, followed by 30. What does it mean??

Joan Dawson
- Pittsburgh pa USA

Q. hi?. so i have this ring with little diamonds around a big one on the center and is marked 585 and 14k on the inside.. is it really a white gold or a fake one?

just katez
- NCR,Region 3,Philippines

Q. I have a 10k ring with the letters AU what does that mean I can't find any info anywhere??

Paula Chambers
BUYER - Mt. Grove Missouri USA

----
Ed. note: Once again we've reached the point where it makes no sense to post additional unanswered questions. Apologies, but we all must reserve our time for worthwhile efforts -- so no more questions can be posted unless we get some answers. Thanks for your understanding!

page     1     2     3