-----

"Muriatic acid eye damage?"

2004

My husband was cleaning the pool and Muriatic acid got in to his right eye. It is now swollen and bloodshot and irritated. He flushed with water per directions on container should we seek medical advise?

I'm a trucking owner and need to know if my eyesight will be in jeopardy due to acid into eye?

Sheri Stalsburg
trucking Company - Old Saybrook, Connecticut, USA
^

2004

You should have sought medical attention immediately, and I'll bet it says that on the container. The medical attention might not have consisted of anything more than better irrigation, I don't know, but it should have been done. You need to see an opthamologist.

^

2004

Any corrosive chemical that goes into the eye must be IMMEDIATELY treated. I strongly suggest you see and opthalmic surgeon as soon as you can, but I suspect that after two or three days, any damage that may have ben done has already been done. That does not mean you shouldn't see your doctor - you must. When handling harmful chemicals, you MUST wear the appropriate safety equipment and in this case, proper safety spectacles would have been essential, along with protective gloves and clothing. I hope your husband is OK now.

^