Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

Cleaning Cast Iron/Porcelain Surfaces

2004

I recently "rescued" an old Cast Iron Stove that was stored in an old barn at a farmhouse. The stove belonged to my wife's Grandmother and I brought it home for her to be able to enjoy. We placed it outside and want to restore it as much as possible. I am not sure how to clean the cast iron or the porcelain surfaces, any ideas?

Abel Almanza
HOBBYIST - Yuma, Arizona

2004

If you want to save any remains of old original finish then use oil based rust remover ( WD-40 [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] or any similar proprietary product). Process is slow but safe. If you want to renew your kiln then you can use 5% citric acid solution gelled with cellulose based wallpaper glue(or any proprietary product).