Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

Plating of Internal Threads

2004

I am an undergraduate student doing a project on QC in a medium scale industry and I am given a problem existing in the company to be resolved. The problem is actually from the customer end as there are more rejections in the core plate. I found the root cause for the rejection is that the internal thread answers the gauge before plating but after plating it is not answering.

So we found the cause to be that the problem is due to irregular plating in threads done by the barreling method. So could any one suggest me a good way to plate internal threads which has uniform plating?

Gurubaran
student - Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

2004

A. Plug the holes before plating. Even easier, make the holes after plating. If you must have plating on the threads, use a slightly oversize tap to allow for the build-up of plating.

Tom Gallant
- Long Beach, California, USA

2004

A. If you are plating with a relatively soft metal you can use a roll tap to open up the hole without removing all of the plating.

Matt Evans
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

2004

A. Dear Gurbaran,

Please check what kind of tolerance gauge you are using. Before plating the gauge for checking to be used 6G, and after plating the gauge to be used 6H.

Rakesh Sharma
- Delhi, India

Q. I want to know what M12x1.0-6g means in threads.

Brijesh tripathi
- Noida ,Up, India

A. Hi Brijesh. There is a short and very easy to understand pdf on the subject at
http://portal.ku.edu.tr/~cbasdogan/Courses/MDesign/course_notes/fasteners.pdf

29188-1b   29188-1a