Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

How to clean lead for copper and nickel plating

2004

I would like to plate onto lead shot (used in shotgun cartridges) in home. At first step I should clean the shots (removing lead oxide). What is the safe way?

Thank you very much for your comments.

Manouchehr Shahmoradi
hobbyist - Tehran, IRAN

2004

Gm,

Fluoboric acid shall be employed in activating the lead surface.

Shankaranarayanan N
- Bangalore, Karnataka, India

2004

Dear Shankaranarayanan,

Thank you very much for sending information. I bought some fluoboric acid and used in different percentages of it. Unfortunately the acid did not remove the lead oxide completely and did not get shiny shots which I need to have a nice and bright copper plating. If you have any experience would you please let me know.

Yours,

Manouchehr Shahmoradi
- Tehran, Iran

2004

You can use 10 % nitric acid!