-----

"Restoring a proof coin to original finish"

2004

Is there any way to restore a Proof coin to its original mirror finish. I've a Bahamas proof 10 Dollar coin which had become tarnished inside the plastic container. I thought I would be smart and try to clean it using a Cotton Bud and very fine car polish called 'Mer'. All I succeeded in doing (you've probably guessed by now!) was putting very fine scratches on the surface of the mirror surface. Can anyone help me?

Thanx

Ronnie Scott
Hobbyist (Coin Collector) - Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland United Kingdom
^

2004

Try citric acid(5%)-if coin is copper or copper alloy(ammonium citrate solution is better/ph9/ )Rinse well and dry it with pure alcohol or Acetone [affil. link to info/product on Amazon]. If your coin is silver you can use sodium thiosulphate [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] solution(30%)!

^

2006

It's a silver half dollar and it was plated for a brooch. I would like to get to the original coin again if possible. please help.

Mark Rokes
consumer - Port Charlotte, FL, U.S.A.
^