-----

"Gold Plating Adhesion on bending part"

1999

I am looking to find a process that will improve the adhesion of electroplated gold onto a formed 303 stainless spring wire. I am experiencing coating flaking after several bending cycles. Will an undercoating or strikeplate help? I need to keep the final gold thickness. The Au coating thickness is 0.0003"

Brendan McCrea
- Redwood City, California
^

1999

Brendan, I'm assuming from your substrate material and coating thickness that this is for a radiopaque coating. I don't know much about electroplating but I do know that in the PVD industry Cr or Ti is used as an undercoat to make Au, Pt, Pd or Ir stick when adhesion problems are experienced.

John Davis
John Davis
- Berthoud, Colorado, USA
^

Mr. McCrea:

To get electroplating to adhere to a surface, the surface needs to be active. Because stainless steel naturally passivates in air, it is virtually always necessary to activate it. The "standard operating procedure" is to use a Wood's Nickel Strike -- do you presently nickel strike?

^