-----

"Copper plating on Carbon?"

-

I'm looking for information on plating copper on carbon electrodes. Is this possible, how can I do it? I have a standard decorative shop(zinc,copper,nickel,chrome,gold). What processes do you recommend? What do I need to add? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. p.s. I'm looking at small parts suitable for barrel plating, what am I up against

Bruce O'Brien
metals - Chandler, Arizona
^

1999

Hi Bruce , I really would not recommend even attempting to Barrel plate parts made from Carbon , it is easy enough to plate the parts , but the carbon is so brittle that it will break with the part to part abrasion that happens in the barrel If you want to try the important thing to remember is that carbon will absorb many things onto its surface and these are not readily rinsed off , rinsing is of the ultimate importance , do not use really aggressive, high caustic cleaners , nor those containing lots of silicate rather a mild cleaner with lots of surfactant.

regards

John Tenison-Woods
John Tenison - Woods
- Victoria Australia
^

2005

Can electroless copper or nickel be plated onto graphite directly? If not what would be required to prepare graphite to be plated by one of these?

Dan St. Louis
- Alta Loma, California, USA
^