-----

"Stainless Steel Sink/Countertop Refinishing"

1999

I need information on the steps to refinish a stainless steel counter top with at #4 finish that has been welded. Any information is appreciated.

Joe Bressi
- La Mesa, California
^

1999

There are various #4 grit finishes out on the market. It is best to match the Sandpaper [affil. link to info/product at Rockler] grit to that of the finish then sand it in the direction of the grain. #4 finish typically are short grain finish so it is harder to match the original finish (long grain HairLine finish sheet has a decided advantage over #4 in this department). You may want to try it on a small test piece before the actual piece. Good luck!

Michael Liu Taylor
Michael Liu Taylor
specialty stainless steel distributor - Dallas, Texas
^

sidebar 2001

I recently purchased a vintage "steelcase" steel office desk and was wondering about refinishing this type of furniture. How do I strip the paint off ( 0000 steel wool [affil. link to info/product at Rockler] ?) and what type of powder coat or clear coat should I be applying to the stripped surface ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Sylvain Despres
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
^

Hi, Sylvain. I don't believe "steelcase" office desks are stainless steel. I believe you will find that they are plain steel. We have several threads on-line here about refinishing steelcase desks. Please see letters 26176 and 48537 for starters. Good luck

^

Can you tell me the grit of sandpaper to purchase for refinishing a stainless steel sink?

J.Martinez
- Temecula, California    
^