-----

"Why is Powder Coating failing on 99 HARLEY"

1999

I have a 99 Harley Davidson Softail motorcycle and have been told that the frame is powder coated. The frame is rusting, but the swing-arm assembly is not! I have had the bike looked at by H-D and they say they will not correct this problem under warranty because the problem is caused by the environment. I am writing the letter hoping to get a more professional and intelligent explanation for this happening. I have had the bike 6 months. My previous bike was a 94 H-D Sportster. This bike was maintained in same manner as the 99 with a little less TLC. Any help with would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Robert Rachall

Robert Rachall
- Monroe,La.
^

1999

Bob! Without seeing the frame it would be hard to give you the real answer. I'm not sure if you can compare your two motorcycle frames because I believe that HD used a zinc phosphate in 94 and iron phosphate in 99. The term environmental is very subjective to the readers. Does this mean UV, gloss, peeling, impact, or gravel problems. It is possible that HD E-coats the swingarm and not the frame. I would suggest you take the frame to someone who can make sure the powder has been properly cured and look at the pretreatment aspect. Usually these companies will work with you if they are at fault. Let me know what happens.

bob utech
Bob Utech
Benson, Minnesota
^