Black oxide blueing

2004

I've been wanting to paint my car but can't decide on how I go about doing it. I want my car to have the finish of blueing, like that of a firearm. Can a color of paint resemble the blueing effect? I really like the blueing on firearms and would love to have that same finish on my car.How can this be done? Can this be done?

I.D.Rivera
automotive - Lorain, OHIO, USA

2003

It is a good question as to whether it would be theoretically feasible to blue or black oxide the metal on a car. But such processes are done by immersion at temperatures above boiling, so it would certainly be a major undertaking. Further, the finish has almost no corrosion resistance so it would only be feasible for an 'indoors-only' show car.