-----

"Formula for NC Thinner & Auto Thinner?"

Current postings:

Q. Please -- I tried an economical formula with high amount of methanol, but the problem was that after evaporation of thinner started from the substrate a droplet of water condenses with the thinner which makes white spot on the substrate. How can I solve that without increasing low evaporation true solvent due to the cost? what is the best mix of solvent to accept water condensation?

Ahmed Elsherbenye
- Shirbin Egypt
^

Closely related Q&A's, oldest first:

2004

Q. What can be used to thin down Nitro-Cellulose lacquer paint so as not to be as thick for airbrush applications? Thanks for any help.

Don Mendrick
Hobby-Guitar Re-Finishing - Fontana, California, United States
^

2004

A. Don,
Wouldn't any 'lacquer' solvent work beautifully? Mind you, you could try some aromatic solvents ... and PVC primer (which uses tetrahydrafurane solvent) works quite well on table tennis balls .... which are l00% cellulose nitrate.

Freeman Newton [dec]
(It is our sad duty to advise that Freeman passed away

^

2004

Q. I would be very much interested in manufacturing and distributing NC Thinner to Sri Lankan market. I have obtained many formulas for preparing of NC thinner but still not found success. Every time I got complaints that my product is not suitable for thinning of Primers, all kinds of coatings, automotive spray paints, etc.

I would be highly appreciated if you could give the best and accurate formula of making NC thinner by using solvents.

Thanking you, Yours truly,

Mohammed A [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
businessman - Colombo, Western Province, Sri Lanka
^

2004

A. Hello Mohammed. My experience is that you probably won't draw much response to your question the way it stands. Please describe the formulas you tried, and explain in what ways they aren't yet satisfactory, and I'm very confident that someone will give you the necessary hints about how to adjust them! Good luck!

^

"Formulation of Organic Coatings"
by Norman I. Gaynes

Affiliate Link
(commissions from your purchases make finishing.com possible)

"Technology of Paints & Varnishes"

Affiliate Link

2004

Q. Hello Sir,

It is so regrettable to state that this is my second letter to you of knowing a very important matter which effects my personal life. I want to know the best formula of manufacturing of NC Thinner. Kindly give me the best formulation in preparing of quality thinners, both NC thinner (for wood items) and Auto super thinner (for auto vehicles).

Also I am expecting your company collaboration to proceed with these products and any available other manufacturers such as Sealers, Varnishers, Lacquers, etc.

Awaiting your response with many hopes.

Best regards, Yours truly,

Mohammed A [returning]
^

A. Dear Cousin Mohammed,
Sorry, I personally know nothing about NC thinner formulation, I'm just the curator of the site. However, with the experience of posting & maintaining 26,494 threads before yours, I suggested how you could detail your question to draw interest and to get responses from our thousands of daily readers ... but instead you choose to scold the world :-)

No one spends years developing a product, then simply posts the info on the internet so everyone can take their business, while their own children go hungry; instead they patent the product or retain its formulation as a trade secret. Sorry! If you want a formula for a thinner that you haven't been able to find in the countless expired patents and many great books on this topic, then you'll need to license it, not expect it for free. Perhaps the best approach in your situation would be to search through expired patents and see if you find a suitable one there; it's so easy to do that these days with all the patents being on line.

But "Formulation of Organic Coatings", available as of this writing for $15, has a 35-page subchapter just on nitrocellulose lacquers, with much of it about thinning and viscosity control. "Technology of Paints, Varnishes, and Lacquers" has a 4-page subchapter on formulation of solvent systems for nitrocellulose and explains active solvents vs. latent solvents vs. diluents; and it offers troubleshooting tips for moisture blush, cotton blush, gum blush, and improper leveling. It's a fairly deep technology; it's not easily dispatched in the abstract, and there is no such thing as one "best" formula except in response to an exact list of requirements. You can also search on books.google.com for old free e-books on the subject too.

Readers are welcome to try to help you, but are probably afraid that if they give you a formula you'll scold us again with "we tried that, it didn't work, I want a better one". So please -- as I previously noted -- tell us what you tried and what problems it presented you with, and people will almost always be generous enough to suggest improvements.

Best of luck.

^

2004

A. You will find that there are a great number of paint formulations, each will have a thinner that is appropriate for that specific paint. Read the can for the recommended thinner. If they only recommend a thinner by product name, they want to sell their material and not have people use generic mixtures that they cannot control.

^

2004

Q. I would be very much interested in studying of NC Lacquer. I have obtained many formulas for preparing of NC lacquer but still not found success. Every time I got complaints that my product is not suitable for all kinds of coatings I would be highly appreciated if you could give the best and accurate formula of making NC lacquer.

Thank you very much , Yours truly,

Hoang Quoc Uy
student - Ho Chi Minh, VietNam
^

"Formulary of Paints and other Coatings"

Affiliate Link

A. Dear Hoang,

Unfortunately, you've copied & pasted a previous question which we predicted would not be answered then and hasn't been answered now :-)

You've tried many formulas without success, but you didn't describe even one of them and tell us in what way it is deficient. Besides the issue of trade secrets, people may feel that if they spend their time to offer a formula here, your reply would be that it is "one of the many formulas I already tried without success". So just as we advised the previous inquirer, please tell us what your best formula is and what weaknesses it presents, and someone will probably help with a proposed adjustment -- in many cases it's probably technique rather than formula. Best of luck!

^

similarly

similarly
2004

Q. DEAR Sir/Madam,

I am looking for the complete chemical composition in % wise fashion for making NC THINNER, PTRS THINNER, PRINTING INK etc. Can anyone help me please. I am a beginner in this field.

Thanks a lot to you,

AMIT B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Udaipur, Rajasthan, INDIA
^

2004

Q. Please give me the formula of NC THINNER For Using In Wood Work.

Pankaj A [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Faridabad, Haryana
^

2004

Q. Despite of having so many formula for NC thinner, I would like to have the best one. strongly believe you will be supporting me to have the best one.

PONNUSAMY G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
mfrs. of chemicals - COIMBATORE, TAMILNADU, INDIA
^

thumbs up signHi Ponnusamy. There is no such thing as "best" except in response to your list of desired qualities. For example, is a thinner "best" if it costs 20% less but takes a week to dry? How about if it costs 10% less and takes 3 days to dry?

You say you have many formulations, but haven't offered any of them to the people standing in line ahead of you asking for your help :-(

Please try the well-proven technique of learning by attempting to teach. Tell us what you tried and what was good about it and bad. You and we can learn from your efforts and we'll all be the better for it  :-)

^

2007

Q. Hi, I'm totally new here. I wanted to start this business in my hometown but I need people who has got more experience to guide me. As I heard from my friend.

Thinner came in barrel and they mix it before they fill it in small cans and distribute. That's what I wanted to do.

Where should I start? Thank you

Hitler Bong
- Sarawak, Malaysia
^

Q. I would be very much interested in manufacturing and distributing NC Thinner to Sonipat market. I have obtained many formulas for preparing of NC thinner but still not found success. Every time I got complaints that my product is not suitable for thinning of Primers, all kinds of coatings, automotive spray paints, etc. I would be highly appreciative if you could give the best and accurate formula of making NC thinner by using solvents.

Thanking you, Yours truly,

prashant tyagi
- sonipat, haryana, india
^

Q. I would like to start a NC thinner manufacturing company in India. So please advise me from where I will get the technical support or license for manufacturing NC Thinner. Otherwise give me the details of some reference book on this.

Richard Mathew
- India
^

A. Thinner formulation
25% butyl acetate
5-10% Acetone
1-10 ethyl acetate
1-10% n- Butanol
1-10% anhydrous isopropanol
1-10% xylene
1-10% propylene glycol
10-20% aliphatic petroleum distillate such as Stoddard solvent or other high purity mineral spirits.

Unfortunately we don't have specific formula for auto /NC thinner too. What you have to do is use the above guide formula change the proportion as per your demand.

Slow evaporating, medium evaporating, high evaporating.
Add more xylene if you need a strong one and aliphatic one for less strong thinner.

Enjoy it.

K.Berhanu
manufacturing - Dubai, UAE
^

A. To make thinner is very easy

1- Ethyl Acetate 10 Lts
2- Butyl Acetate 10 lts
3- Alcohol 96° 90 Lts
4-Toluene 90 lts

total 200 Lts of good Thinner

If you want a Thinner only to degrease, don't use Acetate.

Mansur

Alex Mansur
- Sao Paulo, Brazil South America
^

A. NC Lacquer is very simple to make.
Obtain Toluene (Toluol) and Xylene (Xylol) from any major Engen, BP, etc., Depo. Usually they have a ready formulation of something called Lacquer Thinners.

To make 1 Litre: 100g NC Chips
900 ml lacquer thinners or 50/50 toluene and Xylene. Leave the chips overnight.
Following day, stir slowly to produce your NC lacquer.
This NC lacquer is quite fine for most jobs. It is quite hard wearing and will not flake under most conditions. It won't have much shine when dry. You could always add shine ingredients, but I do not see this necessary.
You can add Red oxide, 1 part to three parts of your completed NC lacquer or play around with the proportions to make a good primer for wrought iron. I have tried these formulations and they work very well. This lacquer is also good to make waterproof fireworks fuses. 1 part Saltpeter (Potassium Nitrate) and three parts fine charcoal mixed into one part of your NC Lacquer will make a "fuse paste". Slip a cotton twine through this slurry and let dry. There you are!. To make a quality fuse for resale purposes, use a fuse spinning wheel which will twist four or five strands of cotton twine onto a reel. Regards

Alex Mansur
- Port Elizabeth
^

thumbs up signHi K.Berhanu; hi Alex Mansur; Hi Alex Mansur

Thank you so much for your generosity in sharing!!

^

Q. I want to know about methanol, is it used in making NC thinner? If used, then in what percentage?

Fahad R.
- Lahore, Pakistan
^

A. 50%

Kolitha [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Maharagama, Sri Lanka
^

Butyl acetate

Q. What is the formulation of Butyl Acetate??

Omer Farooq Janjua
- Sialkot, Punjab, Pakistan
^

Q. White board marker ink formulations needed, but so far I have not been able to find it.
I want this for my student project.
Can you help me?

hadiseh ghazvini
- arak, iran
^

Q. How do we reduce water in the thinner ... any Chemical or any formulation steps?

Arif Hassan
- karachi, pakistan
^

----
Ed. note: Please write a couple of more sentences, cousin Arif -- sorry, but we don't understand your situation and question yet.

Q. I'm totally new here. I wanted to start this business in my hometown but I need people who have got more experience to guide me. I would be very much interested in manufacturing. I need some formulas for preparing wall putty, water based distemper, solvent based distemper, Primer, Thinner, etc.
I would be highly appreciative if you could give the best and accurate formula of making above products.

Arif Azim
paint & chemicals - Sherkot Bijnor UP, India
^

Q. I would be very much interested in manufacturing and distribute of NC Thinner in indian market. I have obtained many formulas for preparing of NC thinner but still not found success. Every time I got complaints that my product is not suitable for thinning of Primers, all kinds of coatings, automotive spray paints, etc.

Thanking you, Yours truly,

vijay Rao Khempu
- Hyderabad, India
^

Q. Please send me formulation for NC Lacquer which is sprayed on leather.

Bhavin Patel
Manufacturing - Baroda, Gujarat, India
^

Q. Hi, myself vippin mehandiratta m from rajasthan. I want to try to make thinner in rajasthan in india. Please help me to find the chemical of thinner. I want to start new work.

vippin mehandiratta
- sri ganga nagar rajasthan, India
^

Q. Sir
I want to know how to make NC base thinner and melamine thinner and NC thinner good for skin.

Ravi Kant
- Alwar Rajasthan India
^

Need formulations for paint

May I know NC thinner & NC lacquer manufacturing process and required machines. (No need for formulation).

Suna

Sunanda Wickramanayaka
- Colombo, Sri Lanka
^

thumbs up signHi Sunandra. The previously mentioned 35-page chapter in "Formulation of Organic Coatings" describes the machinery and methods. But since you know the formulations already, please share at least one with the many people waiting for help from you. Thanks!

^

Q. I want to manufacture low cost NC Thinner. Give me full details. I have many formula which are high costing in indian rupees.
Tell me low cost formulation.

Gajendra kumar
chemicals - bangalore karnataka india
^

A. Hi Gajendra. From a quick scan of this subject I learned that toluol is very cheap. If you just want more volume of thinner cheaply, that's a direction :-)

What are your comments on the formulas so generously offered by K.B., Alex, and A.A.? Please be as specific as possible. Thanks! And with so many people waiting for formulations standing in line in front of you, please help them by sharing those many formulas you already know :-)

^

Tell me low cost formulation.

vishwas dhingra
- panipat haryana, India
^

Q. Sir,
I want to make Low Cost PVC Thinner for Screen Printing, i.e., Water White and Odorless and Slow Dry. Can you give me the formulation how to make it?

Kamlesh Gopani
Colour Spring - Mumbai,Maharashtra,India
^

Q. Hi all,

I am trying to make hi-gloss thinner. Can anyone tell me what should I add to my thinner for adding gloss and in what quantity?
My formulation is:

Ethyl Acetate
Butyl Acetate
Xylene
Toluene

Ashish Sood
- Ghaziabad, UP, India
^

! Dear sir, I am a well experienced thinner maker. Worked in National Paints Doha Qatar.
Also retarders, wood preservatives, tile cleaners and bleaching liquids for clothes and toilet detergents, and more. Sir I am hunting a job in india, malaysia or pakistan. Sir, please kindly help me to find a job. Also can make polyurethane varnishes, anti corrosives, paints.
Please Kindly help me.
Best regards
M.Asmi

mohammad azmy<zarazmy@yahoo.com>
- colombo, sri lanka
^

sidebar September 3, 2014

thumbs up signDear Ted Mooney, P.E. RET, I appreciate the effort you putting in enlightening producers of these products and encouraging others to come into the industry and participate.

Hope Eno
- Ejigbo, Lagos, Nigeria
^

Q. Sir ...
I also want to know how thinner should be made.
Actually I don't know the formulas. I love learning about this. Not only that, but also I hope to start a business where thinner is made and sold.

sudath priyadarshana
- anuradhapura in Sri Lanka
^

Q. Sir
Please give me formulation for furniture polish n.c thinner, good and best thinner.
Please sir, it's a request

sandeep dubey
bala ji - ghaziyababad u.p india
^

Q. I am interested in paint manufacture and having some formulations.

mahmoud ahmed
- alexandria, Egypt
^

Library of Alexandria

thumbs up signHi cousin Mahmoud. I'm sure we all agree that the key to success in any endeavor is to start by fully capitalizing on any special blessings we've received. Your city is renowned everywhere for offering the greatest library in all the world; and is famed for recognizing the value of books across the millennia. Please try to get to the Bibliotheca Alexandrina and look for one of the books which we've recommended on this page, or any book on paint formulation, from among its 8 million books.

Please send us a selfie of you browsing the shelves; the rest of us are envious of you for having this leg up on us, having the most amazing library in all the world at your disposal!; you received a great blessing in living next to such a treasure and being raised in a culture of honoring the importance of books -- please take full advantage of it :-)
Best of luck.

^

Q. Hi all, it's good that I have found many people in this thread asking for thinners. I am Sriram and we are into coal tar products. I'm trying to venture into paint sector and started wondering if thinners could be manufactured with any coal based or coal tar based products.

Please help me in this regard. if so please let me know how to, formulation, and suitable applications.

Thanking you.
Warm regards,
Sriram.

Sriram Varma
- Visakhapatnam, India
^

A. Hi ... To formulate perfect Thinner depends on choice of resins and N/C combinations to choose and to achieve perfect results, formulation of NC Thinner changes according to applied Temperature and Ambient ... either it is humid with low ... medium or high temperature with adjustment of
Xylene
Butyle acetate
N butanol
Tolune
IPA and Solveso 100 or 200 and any better Catalyst with different combinations to test accordingly. Keep in mind the factor of Moisture, Temperature and method of application (i.e., Dipping or spray / airless Spray).

Ahmad Matloob
Paint Manufacturing + R&D - Lahore Pakistan
^

----
Ed. note: Thanks Ahmad!

Q. Dear friends,
I would like to make synthetic cellulose thinner ... any help or suggestions?

Nidal Sawalha
chemicals - Amman, Jordan
^

Q. I just started the production of wood finishing products, but have been having complaints from my customers based on the quality of my product. Please I kindly need your assistance in getting a perfect formula, measurement, and substance that will be economical and give me a good product.
These are my substances:
Thinner: Fuel (Gasoline), Ethyl Acetate, Buthy glycol and Ethanol. My customers complain of its Clarity, and those using it for Automobile paint complain it dries fast. I kindly need your help on modification of this formulas per 4 liters.

adewale_kazeem
Adewale kazeem
Kazhabib - Osun, Nigeria
^

Q. I would be very much interested in manufacturing and distributing NC Thinner, coatings, automotive spray paints, etc.

It would be highly appreciated if you could give the best and accurate formula of making NC thinner and the materials needs for it. Thanks, jagath.

jagath pushpakumara
shop owner - sri lanka
^

thumbs up sign Hi, cousin Jagath. That exact question was previously asked & answered 5 times already on this page! And you've cut & pasted it word-for-word the 6th time :-(
I don't know whether you are having a language difficulty, or whether you're making fun of us. Please try your best, despite any language problems, to describe your own situation in your own words, not someone else's. Thanks. :-)

^

I'm interested in learning about what went into red oxide, nitrocellulose lacquer and acrylic alkyd formulations that were used to paint cars from manufacturers like GM back in the late 1960's. The pigments are irrelevant, I'm mostly after what solvents, retarders, hardeners etc. would have been used. I've tried getting in touch with Dupli-Color re: old paint formulations, but they aren't very helpful/forthcoming. If you're aware of any literature or "old-timers" from the hay days of GM that might be of use, I'd be much obliged if you could pass that information along to me. Thanks for your time.
Todd

Todd Ugine
- Ithaca, New York USA
^

Q. Can anyone help me how to make distilled thinner.
And from where will I get raw materials in India.

Amar Kumar
- Chattisgarh, India
^

Q. I would be very much interested in manufacturing and distributing Epoxy Thinner and PU Thinner to Indian market. I have obtained many formulas for preparing of Epoxy thinner and PU Thinner but still not found success. Every time I got complaints that my product is not suitable for thinning of Primers,Epoxy paints And PU Paints all kinds of coatings, automotive spray paints, etc.

I would be highly appreciated if you could give the best and accurate formula of making Epoxy Thinner and PU Thinner by using solvents.

Thanking you.Your Faithfully

Shaherajkhan Sharifkhan
Royal Paints & Chemical - bharuch, India
^

Ed. note: Please!
No abstract questions.
Huh?

Two Thinner formulas
1: low thinner
2: high thinner

Asad yaseen
Student - Lahore Pakistan
^

----
Ed. note: Folks, sorry, but we've stopped posting submittals of the form "give me the best formula for ...". They are a waste of the readers' time, the editor's time, and the poster's time :-(
When submitting a question, posters are asked to please describe your own situation & your own progress because it has proven silly & pointless to post the same empty, abstract, repetitive question again & again & again across the years and even the decades. :-)
Apologies!