a Website for Serious Education ...
plus the most FUN you can have in metal finishing.

HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsPublic Forum

Formula for preparing NC Thinner and Auto Thinner

(2004)

Q. What can be used to thin down Nitro-Cellulose lacquer paint so as not to be as thick for airbrush applications? Thanks for any help.

Don Mendrick
Hobby-Guitar Re-Finishing - Fontana, California, United States

(2004)

A. Don,

Wouldn't any 'lacquer' solvent work beautifully? Mind you, you could try some aromatic solvents ... and PVC primer (which uses tetrahydrafurane solvent) works quite well on table tennis balls .... which are l00% cellulose nitrate.

(2004)

Q. I would be very much interested in manufacturing and distributing NC Thinner to Sri Lankan market. I have obtained many formulas for preparing of NC thinner but still not found success. Every time I got complaints that my product is not suitable for thinning of Primers, all kinds of coatings, automotive spray paints, etc.

I would be highly appreciated if you could give the best and accurate formula of making NC thinner by using solvents.

Thanking you, Yours truly,

Mohammed A [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
businessman - Colombo, Western Province, Sri Lanka

(2004)

A. Hello Mohammed. My experience is that you probably won't draw much response to your question quite the way it stands. But if you'd please describe your best formula to date, and explain in what ways it isn't yet satisfactory, I'm quite confident that someone will give you some hints about how to improve it. Good luck!

(2004)

Q. Hello Sir,

It is so regrettable to state that this is my second letter to you of knowing a very important matter which effects my personal life. I want to know the best formula of manufacturing of NC Thinner. Kindly give me the best formulation in preparing of quality thinners, both NC thinner (for wood items) and Auto super thinner (for auto vehicles).

Also I am expecting your company collaboration to proceed with these products and any available other manufacturers such as Sealers, Varnishers, Lacquers, etc.

Awaiting your response with many hopes.

Best regards, Yours truly,

Mohammed A [returning]

Formulation of Organic Coatings

Technology of Paints & Varnishes

A. Dear Cousin Mohammed,
Sorry, but I can't answer your question because I know nothing about NC thinner formulation. But as the site curator, with experience from posting 26,494 previous threads, I predicted that you would receive no replies unless you re-wrote your question, and I suggested how to rewrite it to draw interest and get some responses.

Nobody spends years developing such products, then simply posts the info on the internet so that everyone can take their business, while their own children go hungry; instead they patent a product or retain its formulation as a trade secret. Sorry! If you want a formula for a thinner that you aren't able to find in the many books on this topic, then you need to license it; you can't expect it for free. Perhaps the best approach in your situation would be to search through expired patents and see if you find a suitable one there; thats very easy to do these days with all the patents being on line.

But "Formulation of Organic Coatings", available as of this writing for $15, =>
has a 35-page subchapter just on nitrocellulose lacquers, with much of it about thinning and viscosity control.

"Technology of Paints, Varnishes, and Lacquers" =>
has a 4-page subchapter on formulation of solvent systems for nitrocellulose and explains active solvents vs. latent solvents vs. diluents; and it offers troubleshooting tips for moisture blush, cotton blush, gum blush, and improper leveling. It's a fairly deep technology, not easily dispatched in the abstract, and there is no such thing as "best" except in response to an exact list of requirements.

But please, as I noted, if you tell us what you tried and what problems it gave you, people are almost always generous enough to suggest improvements.

(2004)

A. You will find that there are a great number of paint formulations, each will have a thinner that is appropriate for that specific paint. Read the can for the recommended thinner. If they only recommend a thinner by product name, they want to sell their material and not have people use generic mixtures that they cannot control.

(2004)

Q. I would be very much interested in studying of NC Lacquer. I have obtained many formulas for preparing of NC lacquer but still not found success. Every time I got complaints that my product is not suitable for all kinds of coatings I would be highly appreciated if you could give the best and accurate formula of making NC lacquer.

Thank you very much , Yours truly,

Hoang Q [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
student - Ho Chi Minh, VietNam

Formulary of Paints and other Coatings

A. Dear Hoang,

Unfortunately, you've copied & pasted a previous question which we predicted would not be answered and wasn't :-)

You've tried many formulas without success, but you didn't describe even one and tell us in what way it is deficient. Besides the issue of trade secrets, people may feel that if they take the time to offer a formula here, your reply would be that it is one of the many formulas you already tried without success. So just as we advised the previous inquirer, please tell us what your best formula is and what weaknesses it presents, and someone will probably help with a proposed adjustment -- in many cases it's technique rather than formula. Best of luck!

similarly

similarly
(2004)

Q. DEAR Sir/Madam,

I am looking for the complete chemical composition in % wise fashion for making NC THINNER, PTRS THINNER, PRINTING INK etc. Can anyone help me please. I am a beginner in this field.

Thanks a lot to you,

AMIT B [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Udaipur, Rajasthan, INDIA

(2004)

Q. Please give me the formula of NC THINNER For Using In Wood Work.

Pankaj A [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Faridabad, Haryana

(2004)

Q. Despite of having so many formula for NC thinner, I would like to have the best one. I strongly believe, you will be supporting me to have the best one.

PONNUSAMY G [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
mfrs. of chemicals - COIMBATORE, TAMILNADU, INDIA

thumbs up signHi Ponnusamy. There is no such thing as "best" except in response to a list of desired qualities. For example, is a thinner "best" if it costs 10% less but takes a week to dry? How about if it costs 15% less and takes 3 days to dry?

You say you have many formulations, but haven't offered any info to the people standing in line ahead of you asking for your help :-(

Please try the well-proven technique of learning by attempting to teach. Tell us what you tried and what you think others can learn from your efforts and we'll probably all be the better for it  :-)

(2007)

Q. Hi, I'm totally new here. I wanted to start this business in my hometown but I need people who has got more experience to guide me. As I heard from my friend.

Thinner came in barrel and they mix it before they fill it in small Can and distribute. That's what I wanted to do.

Where should I start? Thank you

Hitler Bong
- Sarawak, Malaysia

Q. I would be very much interested in manufacturing and distributing NC Thinner to Sonipat market. I have obtained many formulas for preparing of NC thinner but still not found success. Every time I got complaints that my product is not suitable for thinning of Primers, all kinds of coatings, automotive spray paints, etc. I would be highly appreciative if you could give the best and accurate formula of making NC thinner by using solvents.

Thanking you, Yours truly,

prashant tyagi
- sonipat, haryana, india

Q. I would like to start a NC thinner manufacturing company in India. So please advise me from where I will get the technical support or license for manufacturing NC Thinner. Otherwise give me the details of some reference book on this.

Richard Mathew
- India

A. Thinner formulation
25% butyl acetate
5-10% Acetone
1-10 ethyl acetate
1-10% n- Butanol
1-10% anhydrous isopropanol
1-10% xylene
1-10% propylene glycol
10-20% aliphatic petroleum distillate such as Stoddard solvent or other high purity mineral spirits.

Unfortunately we don't have specific formula for auto /NC thinner too. What you have to do is use the above guide formula change the proportion as per your demand.

Slow evaporating, medium evaporating, high evaporating.
Add more xylene if you need a strong one and aliphatic one for less strong thinner.

Enjoy it.

K.Berhanu
manufacturing - Dubai, UAE

A. To make thinner is very easy

1- Ethyl Acetate 10 Lts
2- Butyl Acetate 10 lts
3- Alcohol 96° 90 Lts
4-Toluene 90 lts

total 200 Lts of good Thinner

If you want a Thinner only to degrease, don't use Acetate.

Mansur

Alex Mansur
- Sao Paulo, Brazil South America

A. NC Lacquer is very simple to make.
Obtain Toluene (Toluol) and Xylene (Xylol) from any major Engen, BP, etc., Depo. Usually they have a ready formulation of something called Lacquer Thinners.

To make 1 Litre: 100g NC Chips
900 ml lacquer thinners or 50/50 toluene and Xylene. Leave the chips overnight.
Following day, stir slowly to produce your NC lacquer.
This NC lacquer is quite fine for most jobs. It is quite hard wearing and will not flake under most conditions. It won't have much shine when dry. You could always add shine ingredients, but I do not see this necessary.
You can add Red oxide, 1 part to three parts of your completed NC lacquer or play around with the proportions to make a good primer for wrought iron. I have tried these formulations and they work very well. This lacquer is also good to make waterproof fireworks fuses. 1 part Saltpeter (Potassium Nitrate) and three parts fine charcoal mixed into one part of your NC Lacquer will make a "fuse paste". Slip a cotton twine through this slurry and let dry. There you are!. To make a quality fuse for resale purposes, use a fuse spinning wheel which will twist four or five strands of cotton twine onto a reel. Regards

A Ahmed
- Port Elizabeth

thumbs up signHi K.B.; hi Alex; Hi A.A.

Thank you so much for your generosity in sharing!

Q. I want to know about methanol, is it used in making NC thinner? If used, then in what percentage?

Fahad R.
- Lahore, Pakistan

A. 50%

Kolitha [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Maharagama, Sri Lanka

Butyl acetate

Q. What is the formulation of Butyl Acetate??

Omer Farooq Janjua
- Sialkot, Punjab, Pakistan

Q. White board marker ink formulations needed, but so far I have not been able to find it.
I want this for my student project.
Can you help me?

hadiseh ghazvini
- arak, iran

Q. How do we reduce water in the thinner... any Chemical or any formulation steps?

Arif Hassan
- karachi, pakistan

----
Ed. note: Please write a couple of more sentences, cousin Arif -- sorry, but we don't understand your situation and question yet.

Q. I'm totally new here. I wanted to start this business in my hometown but I need people who have got more experience to guide me. I would be very much interested in manufacturing. I need some formulas for preparing wall putty, water based distemper, solvent based distemper, Primer, Thinner, etc.
I would be highly appreciative if you could give the best and accurate formula of making above products.

Arif Azim
paint & chemicals - Sherkot Bijnor UP, India

Q. I would be very much interested in manufacturing and distribute of NC Thinner in indian market. I have obtained many formulas for preparing of NC thinner but still not found success. Every time I got complaints that my product is not suitable for thinning of Primers, all kinds of coatings, automotive spray paints, etc.

Thanking you, Yours truly,

vijay Rao Khempu
- Hyderabad, India

Q. Please send me formulation for NC Lacquer which is sprayed on leather.

Bhavin Patel
Manufacturing - Baroda, Gujarat, India

Q. Hi, myself vippin mehandiratta m from rajasthan. I want to try to make thinner in rajasthan in india. Please help me to find the chemical of thinner. I want to start new work.

vippin mehandiratta
- sri ganga nagar rajasthan, India

Q. Sir
I want to know how to make NC base thinner and melamine thinner and NC thinner good for skin.

Ravi Kant
- Alwar Rajasthan India

Need formulations for paint

May I know NC thinner & NC lacquer manufacturing process and required machines. (No need for formulation).

Suna

Sunanda Wickramanayaka
- Colombo, Sri Lanka

thumbs up signHi Sunandra. The previously mentioned 35-page chapter in "Formulation of Organic Coatings" describes the machinery and methods. But since you know the formulations already, please share at least one with the many people waiting for help in front of you. Thanks!

Q. I want to manufacture low cost NC Thinner. Send me full details. I have many formula which are high costing in indian rupees.
Tell me low cost formulation.

Gajendra kumar
chemicals - bangalore karnataka india

A. Hi Gajendra. From a quick scan of this subject I learned that toluol is very cheap. If you just want more volume of thinner cheaply, that's a direction :-)

What are your comments on the formulas generously offered by K.B., Alex, and A.A.? Please be as specific as possible. Thanks! And with so many people waiting for formulations standing in line in front of you, please help them :-)

Tell me low cost formulation.

vishwas dhingra
- panipat haryana, India

Q. Sir,
I want to make Low Cost PVC Thinner for Screen Printing, i.e., Water White and Odorless and Slow Dry. Can you give me the formulation how to make it?

Kamlesh Gopani
Colour Spring - Mumbai,Maharashtra,India

Q. Hi all,

I am trying to make hi-gloss thinner. Can anyone tell me what should I add to my thinner for adding gloss and in what quantity?
My formulation is:

Ethyl Acetate
Butyl Acetate
Xylene
Toluene

Ashish Sood
- Ghaziabad, UP, India

! Dear sir, I am a well experienced thinner maker. Worked in National Paints Doha Qatar.
Also retarders, wood preservatives, tile cleaners and bleaching liquids for clothes and toilet detergents, and more. Sir I am hunting a job in india, malaysia or pakistan. Sir, please kindly help me to find a job. Also can make polyurethane varnishes, anti corrosives, paints.
Please Kindly help me.
Best regards
M.Asmi

mohammad azmy <zarazmy@yahoo.com>
- colombo, sri lanka

thumbs up signDear Ted Mooney, P.E. RET, I appreciate the effort you putting in enlightening producers of these product and encouraging others to come into the industry and participate.

Hope Eno
- Ejigbo, Lagos, Nigeria

Q. Sir ...
I also want to know how thinner should be made.
Actually I don't know the formulas. I love learning about this. Not only that, but also I hope to start a business where thinner is made and sold.

sudath priyadarshana
- anuradhapura in Sri Lanka

Q. Sir
Please send me formulation for furniture polish n.c thinner, good and best thinner.
Please sir, it's a request

sandeep dubey
bala ji - ghaziyababad u.p india

Q. I am interested in paint manufacture and having some formulations.

mahmoud ahmed
- alexandria, Egypt

Library of Alexandria

thumbs up signHi cousin Mahmoud. Your town offers the greatest library in all the world!. Please try to get to the Bibliotheca Alexandrina and look for one of the books we've recommended on this page, or any book on paint formulation, from among the 8 million books there.

Please send a pic of yourself browsing the shelves, because the rest of us are envious of you having the most amazing library in the world at your disposal! I'm sure you'll agree that for success in any endeavor we must try to capitalize on the blessings we've received; you've received a great one -- please take full advantage of it :-)
Best of luck.

Q. Hi all, it's good that I have found many people in this thread asking for thinners. I am Sriram and we are into coal tar products. I'm trying to venture into paint sector and started wondering if thinners could be manufactured with any coal based or coal tar based products.

Please help me in this regard. if so please let me know how to, formulation and suitable applications.

Thanking you.
Warm regards,
Sriram.

Sriram Varma
- Visakhapatnam, India

A. Hi ... To formulate perfect Thinner depends on choice of resins and N/C combinations to choose and to achieve perfect results, formulation of NC Thinner changes according to applied Temperature and Ambient ... either it is humid with low ... medium or high temperature with adjustment of
Xylene
Butyle acetate
N butanol
Tolune
IPA and Solveso 100 or 200 and any better Catalyst with different combinations to test accordingly. Keep in mind the factor of Moisture, Temperature and method of application (i.e., Dipping or spray / airless Spray).

Ahmad Matloob
Paint Manufacturing + R&D - Lahore Pakistan

----
Ed. note: We declined to publish some postings because this forum is for camaraderie & public technical discussions. We don't post free advertisements within the public forum discussions, nor put readers into personal contact with each other. Sorry.

Q. Dear friends,
I would like to make synthetic cellulose thinner ... any help or suggestions?

Nidal Sawalha
chemicals - Amman, Jordan

Q. I just started the production of wood finishing products, but have been having complaints from my customers based on the quality of my product. Please I kindly need your assistance in getting a perfect formula, measurement, and substance that will be economical and give me a good product.
These are my substances:
Thinner: Fuel (Gasoline), Ethyl Acetate, Buthy glycol and Ethanol. My customers complain of its Clarity, and those using it for Automobile paint complain it dries fast. I kindly need your help on modification of this formulas per 4 liters.

adewale_kazeem
Adewale kazeem
Kazhabib - Osun, Nigeria

Q. I would be very much interested in manufacturing and distributing NC Thinner, coatings, automotive spray paints, etc.

It would be highly appreciated if you could give the best and accurate formula of making NC thinner and the materials needs for it. Thanks, jagath.

jagath pushpakumara
shop owner - sri lanka

thumbs up sign Hi, cousin Jagath. That question which was previously cut & pasted, and asked & answered 5 times already on this page. I don't know if you are having a language difficulty with this page, or you're making fun of people. But please post in your own words rather than someone else's. Thanks. :-)

I'm inserted in learning about what went into red oxide, nitrocellulose lacquer and acrylic alkyd formulations that were used to paint cars from manufacturers like GM back in the late 1960's. The pigments are irrelevant, I'm mostly after what solvents, retarders, hardeners etc. would have been used. I've tried getting in touch with Dupli-Color re: old paint formulations, but they aren't very helpful/forthcoming. If you're aware of any literature or "old-timers" from the hay days of GM that might be of use, I'd be much obliged if you could pass that information along to me. Thanks for your time.

Todd

Todd Ugine
- Ithaca, New York USA

Can anyone help me how to make distilled thinner.
And from where will I get raw materials in India.

Amar Kumar
- Chattisgarh, India

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If your question seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to search the site: