How to apply lacquer to polished brass?

2003

After buffing the brass fixtures, I have applied a quick drying (Rust-o-leum) clear lacquer. I follow directions on can and apply light coats within a few minutes. After the lacquer dries it becomes hazy and ruff to the touch. What am I doing wrong? Wrong lacquer? Wrong technique?

THANKS,

Jerry Holmes
Independent contractor refinishing small brass items - Sonoita, Arizona, USA

2003

You need best proprietary lacquer for copper, bronze and brass. nitro lacquer is also good. Object must be well degreased- use pure alcohol or Acetone [linked by editor to product info at Amazon].

I have used several clear coats on polished brass and have found the best technique is to flood the object. Sometimes that means drips, but if you simply wick the drips off the edge with your glove or a lint-free cloth, the end results are perfection. You won't even know there is a coating. Permalac, however expensive, is my favorite.

Adam Streubel
- Appleton, Wisconsin