RAPID PAINTING / CURING OF PLASTIC (A.B.S) COMPONENTS
I WOULD LIKE TO INVESTIGATE THE USE OF PAINT AS A FINISHING PROCESS FOR A.B.S PLASTIC MOULDED COMPONENTS TO IMPROVE THEIR APPEARANCE (BASED ON THE IMPROVED VISUAL APPEARANCE GIVEN TO ITEMS SUCH AS TELEVISIONS, VIDEO'S & HI-FI'S ETC)
I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO ANY COMPANIES WHO CAN EITHER SUPPLY THE PAINT OR SPRAYING EQUIPMENT WHICH COULD BE SET UP ALONGSIDE THE MOLDING MACHINE TO CREATE A MANUFACTURING CELL TO PRODUCE THE FINISHED COMPONENTS.
MARTIN STEWART, PROJECT DESIGN ENGINEER
PETERBOROUGH CAMBS PE2 6UP ENGLAND
Be aware that there is more to it than just finding the right paint and/or application supplier. Especially dust prevention is extremely important in this type of plants. Best regards.
- Enschede, The Netherlands
We are facing problem of ORANGE PEEL effect on ABS plastic after painting. Dry air is used for painting Dew point (-) 20 deg C at 6Kg/cm2 operating pressure. Paint is from MRF ltd and thinner is also supplied by paint manufacturer. Painting room is dust proof .
We are unable to locate problem. If any one knowing or aware of such problem we shall appreciate response.
compressors - Pune, India
WE SEARCH MANUFACTURES ENGLAND PAINTING anti-rust and marines PRODUCTS urgent ! BEST regardsboujaoui moustapha
- casablanca MOROCCO
Make sure that you prep the plastic correctly also. If it has a slick feel to it, it probably has a mold release agent on it. The manufactures use this so the plastic releases out of the mold. So you must prep it right for the paint to stick. Here is the correct procedure.
1. Wash the part with warm soapy water very thoroughly.
2. Clean the plastic with a plastic cleaner. It must be a cleaner made for plastic. Wax and grease removers will not work correctly. The wrong cleaner and it might not stick.
3 Check to see if all the mold release has been removed. Rub the plastic with your finger and if it is squeaky clean then it is good. If it still feel slick repeat steps 1 and 2.
4. Next scuff the plastic with a fine scuff pad. 3m has a grey pad that works well. If you need to sand anything, wetsand with 320 grit sandpaper.
5. Now clean the plastic with the plastic cleaner again to get ready for paint.
6. Once you have it all set up for paint, apply to coats of a plastic adhesive promoter with 5 min flash between coats and 20 minutes before sealer.
7. Spray on your sealer with a flex additive in it. let flash.
8. Check your paint rep for adding flex to the base. Dupont does not recommend it.
9. Spray your clear with the flex additive in it.
- Mesquite, Texas
This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site