Health risk of galvanized metal used under a wok used for cooking

2003

I have done some welding in my art classes with an arc welder and oxy-acetylene torch. I know galvanized metal can cause some hazardous fumes. Now I am looking for a utensil to use in my kitchen on the stove. I need a ring, approximately 9 inches in diameter and 4 inches high to set the wok I bought while living in Japan over my gas burner. While in a home improvement store I saw a wonderful ring that would work size-wise. However, it is a ring used for furnace ductwork. Could I be putting myself at a health risk by using this around the burner to hold my wok over the gas burner for cooking?

JOYCE BARRETT
ARTIST - PORTLAND, OR, USA

2003

I humbly refer you to the recent exchange herein at - 21703 - and wish you well. Advice: if you have ANY doubt, don't do it.

Abdul-Khamel Z'Hacki
Retired - USA

There are now over a dozen letters on line here about zinc fumes if you wish to patiently search the site, but I wouldn't worry much. I'd be sure a fan was running the first time, and that's about it. Note, though, that we are not talking about a cooking surface.