-----

"Aluminum anodizing technique"

1999

I have for some time been interested in the process of anodizing aluminum, magnesium and titanium However clear information on the process involved is hard to come by. What I am looking for is a detailed process algorithm and a list of chemicals, including hydration solutions, dyes, and post-dye coatings. I am aware that the chemicals involved are not exactly environmentally friendly and would appreciate you input as to handling and disposal methods. Forward replies to this page or e-mail me.

Gary Michell
racing Engines - Devon Albera
^

1999

The most complete source on anodizing aluminum that I am aware of is a two book set "The Surface Treatment and Finishing of Aluminum and Its Alloys" by Wernick, Pinner and Sheasby. It is not cheap, but is a superior reference.

A very nice affordable practical manual for people considering anodizing is "Light Metals Finishing Process Manual" by Grubbs and Montgomery. It is available from the AESF. They have a web site. This is a very down to earth manual written in rather non technical terms and covers most of what a practical person would need to know to start anodizing.

^

probertEthumbAluminum How-To
"The Chromating - Anodizing - Hardcoating Handbook"
by Robert Probert
(How good is it? Finishing.com has sold over 750 copies without a single return request)

"Surface Treatment & Finishing of Aluminium and Its Alloys"
Wernick, Pinner & Sheasby

Affiliate Link
(finishing.com may earn commission)

1999

Dear Gary, In addition to the previously mentioned process manuals for anodizing might I suggest the annual directory of "Products Finishing". The annual article by Mr. Grubbs is very easy to read yet thorough.

Kindly,

Bob Griffiths
- Monroe, North Carolina
^