-----

"Agitators"

1999

We are manufacturers of Precision Engineered Metal parts, and are involved in many applications of plating and finishing. I am interested in exploring alternate methods of agitation in plating tanks over our current method of air agitation. I was particularly interested in exploring Cathode rod and in-tank pump sparging (with and without eductors). Also, we are trying to determine the affects of using less air volume or air sparges with more or smaller holes to produce smaller bubbles in order to reduce the stresses in thin plating applications.

If you have any information to offer me I would very much appreciate it. I look forward to your response in the near future. Thank you for your time and interest.

Sincerely,

Stephen J. Kilkelly
- Plymouth, Massachusetts
^

You might find my article on solution agitation and mixing in the Metal Finishing Guidebook helpful. Agitation minimizes localized ion depletion and thereby allows faster plating at higher current density without burning; the effect is similar to raising the temperature or increasing the metal concentration. But I think that the effect of agitation on stress is pretty minimal compared to the effect of brighteners, alloying elements, current density, etc., and the most practical way to control stress is by adjusting ther current.

^