-----

"HELP:Industrial Applications of Electroplating"

1999

Really more of a question than a letter

I have been trying to understand the industrial applications of electroplating, but unfortunately there appears to be no relevant info about.

Could anyone help me, please

yours

ED

Edward Simpson
^

1999

Ed, You pose a rather ambiguous question. I would normally say it was a 'weird' question but the last time I said that to someone, they took umbrage! Define exactly what you want to know! The 'guys' at Finishing Com. are far, far more knowledgeable about plating processes than any individual platers. The industrial applications are truly legion. Aesthetic protection, weather protection, rust protection, acid/alkali protection, vast increases in conductivity (i.e., gold plated connectors, for example). Solar protection. Abrasion resistance. Lead protection (i.e., modern car valves). You names it, theys got it, so to speak. The precursor of plating is Sheffield Plate. This is not a plating process by contemporary thinking but a true protection of a weaker substrate. ... if you have any of these, they are worth $$$! Look around you and you will see what I mean.

Freeman Newton [dec]
(It is our sad duty to advise that Freeman passed away

^

1999

Hello, Freeman. If, by 'guys' at finishing.com, you mean the hundred of so men and women who regularly offer their input here, you're right: in concert we are probably more knowledgable than any individual plater.

You are also right that this letter is a little weird--which is probably why it received little play. When one claims that there is "no relevant info about" a subject that fills whole libraries you get the feeling that the author may have decided it might be easier to lob a bomb named 'plating has no industrial applications' than to spend a minute on research. If someone can find me even a $1.99-per-volume Supermarket encylopedia that includes no industrial applications of electroplating, I'd be shocked.

^