finishing.com -- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry
A website for Serious Education, promoting Aloha,
& the most FUN smiley you can have in metal finishing

HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedAdvertiseForum
topic 2513

Copper Jewelry


(1999)

Please Help! I recently purchased a copper ring that has turned my finger green. I know that it is a chemical reaction due to the acid content in my skin, but my husband swears that the green ring is poisonous, and that it will cause nerve damage. To humor him I removed the ring but the green stain has remained for several days. He is especially concerned because I am 6 months pregnant. I have searched the web and I have not found copper to be poisonous unless ingested. Can you help?

Thank You in Advance

Lil Prego


(1999)

I think you need to ask such questions of a doctor, not of a metal finishing website; but goodness, lots of people swear by the wearing of copper bracelets, and the number of people who constantly rattle the copper pennies and other change in their pockets is countless. A quick scan of MSDS info on the web did not indicate any reason for concern at all.

To the contrary, copper deficiency leads to disease, as described at http://pages.prodigy.com/JTQJ41A/copper.html [Ed. note 10/27/06: sorry, that link is apparently no longer functional] where the author claims that wearing a dozen or so wide corroded copper bracelets might be marginally effective in getting the requisite copper into the body if the diet is inadequate!

Ted Mooney, finishing.com Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E. RET
finishing.com
Pine Beach, New Jersey


(2000)

Hello

Well I have worn a lot of copper for quite a few years and yes it does turn your skin green but with no adverse effects. There is a form of so called copper over dose, but that is only related to ingestion not absorption. But you must have copper in some form in you diet for good heath. There are circulatory benefits. Because I do were a lot of it I have looked in to it just to make sure but I can not find anything to worry about.

Chris Ingram
- lakewood, colorado


(2001)

Dear Lil Prego:

I am an alchemist residing in Md. I ran across your question and just wanted to let you know that you are not being poisoned. In fact, it's quite the opposite. When copper is worn close to the skin it acts as an antioxidant. The copper actually draws out pollutants and toxins that you are constantly ingesting. The greenish residue is merely the result of the coppers working action. Take Care.

Robin Dean
- Balto, Maryland


(2007)

I love copper jewelry. I have both arthritis and fibromyalgia and wearing copper does seem to help.

However I have experienced a problem. Within two or three hours of wearing copper, I have a strong metallic taste in my mouth that lasts for hours, even days after I remove the jewelry. The most discomforting effect is when I am wearing a cherished copper choker.

This has happened too many times to be coincidental. I appreciate any advice. I would hate to give up wearing my beautiful copper.

Thank you
Toni Anne

Toni Anne Leach
hobbyist - Canton, Ohio


(2007)

Yes, you can rule out coincidental, Toni, but that does not mean you can rule out pschosomatic. I certainly don't pose as an expert on the subject, but I pay close attention to chemical exposure scares because of my line of work, and every time there is such a scare, a portion of the "exposed" personnel have to be hospitalized for their symptoms even when it turns out to be a false alarm. I'm not saying you are imagining it (I have no idea), and I certainly get a metallic taste from Cold-Eze myself; I'm only saying it's possible. A prank to drive friends batty is to ask them to make sure their tongue lies comfortable in their mouth; the moment they really and truly concentrate on how their tongue feels, a comfortable tongue position simply can't be found :-)

If your doctor advises against the copper based on your complaint you should not wear it; but if s/he doesn't, you may find that the taste eventually goes away. I think trying to coat the copper or take some kind of vitamins to stop the effect will not prove worthwhile.

Ted Mooney, finishing.com
Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E. RET
finishing.com
Pine Beach, New Jersey



This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

ADD a Q or A to THIS thread START a NEW THREADView This Week's HOT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices


©1995-2017 finishing.com     -    Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.