All the things to consider in setting up a brass plating plant
Dear Metal finisher
I would like to hear from you on the following:
How do brass plate CRCA mildsteel and aluminium substrate (sheets)?
- What are the options available in processes of plating
(like cyanide, non-cyanide, etc)
- What is the better undercoats (nickel or copper) for MS?
- What are the thickness requirements of undercoat, and brass?
- What lacquers and lacquer application processes available?
- What is the sequence of operation?
- What are all the things should I consider, if I need to set up a brass coating plant?
Your help is very much appreciated.
"What are all the things I should consider" is a question of startling scope, Mr. Murugan :-)
What you would need to do is get hold of a few plating books, spend a couple of weeks on them, and get back to us with specific questions. But to steer you in your reading:
- Aluminum must be zincated before you can plate on it
- Non-cyanide brass plating processes do exist, but are usually limited in practicality
- The undercoat depends on the function. If you are looking for bright decorative brass, the easiest way to get the look is to nickel plate it, then a flash of brass. If you want heavy brass, you may not need any undercoat.
- The MFSA Quality Metal Finishing Guide will tell you how much nickel you should use for your conditions; the brass thickness is not critical is you are lacquering the objects.
- The sequence of operation will include alkaline cleaning, acid activation, nickel plating, brass plating, anti-tarnish dip, and lacquering as a minimum. Good luck.
Ted Mooney, P.E. RET
Pine Beach, New Jersey
This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site