Hardwearing coating of Aluminium

(1998)

At the Philips Centre fo Manufacturing Technology Centre I work in a group specialised in tribological issues. Most of my time I am concerned with air bearings.

Because of reduction of weight a lot of my customers want to use Aluminium. To protect the aluminium surfaces we usely apply a hard anodisation process. My question is: Are there any other processes/coatings that give me a hard hardwearing surface.

The most critical condition for the coating process is that the dimensions of the parts have to be toleranced within a few micron. The second condition is that sharp edges have to remain sharp.

If anyone has a suggestion do not hesitate to reply.

Justus Post
Philips Centre for Manufacturing Technology - Netherlands

(1998)

Chrome plating is one option, but it very probably would require post plate machining to maintain the dimentions.

Electroless nickel is a more viable option. Consider a low P one for no bake or low temp bake after plate. It will require a good shop, since it will probably be a one try per part operation and amount of deposit very tightly controlled.

Hard coat is probably your best option. Metalast impregnates with silver. It might enhance your hardcoat.

(1998)

Then there is the CVD diamond-like-carbon (DLC) which is typically under a micron thick. It is suitable for low load applications on aluminum per our experience.

Mandar Sunthankar
- Fort Collins, Colorado