-----

"Carburetor linkage plating"

1998

I restore Carburetors for antique cars My problem is re plating the steel linkage parts. Some of the early 1900s were copper plated but most of the pot metal ones had zinc or cad plating.Most of these parts are small, less than two inches in length, so I think an electroless process is what I need. The reason for plating is to prevent rust.

I would appreciate suggestions and recommendations

THANK YOU

Bob Potter
restorer - Alamogordo NM
^

--

You should not do cadmium plating just for authenticity because it is a cumulative poison which should only be used for indispensable applications. Use zinc instead. But I don't think you need an electroless substitute--small quantities of small parts can simply be 'wired' (hung from a small plating rack, tied in place with light gauge copper wire), or plated on an adjustable rack, or possibly barrel plated.

Plating is difficult and highly regulated. You might consider retaining the services of a plating jobshop. Good luck.

^