HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsForum letter 22874

Painting Stainless Steel

(2003)

Q. I have several pieces of stainless steel trim that I want to paint. What prep can I do to ensure that the paint will "stick"? These are aircraft and automotive pieces that are trim to restoration projects.

Thanks for the help.
- Mission Viejo, California, USA

(2003)

A. Since stainless steel does not corrode a pretreatment is not really required. When we paint stainless steel it is just washed and painted. Occasionally a dry in place treatment (chromate with a silicated binder in used).

Ronald Zeeman
- Brampton, Ontario Canada

Coloring of Stainless Steel -- Painting/Spray

August 25, 2016 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. I would like to get full details on the painting/spray process of coloring stainless steel.
To clarify my requirement, please refer to following items:
* Could applied on stainless steel without covering the pattern(mirror finished, hair line...) of the sheet.(translucent painting)
* Painted sheet would be bended so I need the coating being bendable.
* The SS would be placed outside so the coating should be permanent and maybe corrosion resistant.

Please kindly note that I'm not looking for other process like PVD or so.
If anyone can give me details or suggest me the direction to obtain this information, I would be very much obliged.
Thank you very much!

Johnson Huang
- Ilan, Taiwan

A. Hi Johnson,
Perhaps you could try a colored/dyed lacquer. Usually colored lacquers are fairly translucent and may work within your requirements.

blake kneedler
Blake Kneedler
Feather Hollow Eng.
Stockton, California