"Adhesion of electroplated nickel on gold"

-----

2003

My name is Andrea and I work in a university run research laboratory in the field of metal MEMS. Recently I have been depositing thin layers of chrome and then nickel atop a silicon oxide wafer via e-beam evaporator. After this step, the wafer is cleaned in an acid and then an oxygen plasma. A photoresist is spun on top of the chrome/gold and something is then patterned on this layer. I then have been putting the wafer through a nickel electroplating process. This is where I have been facing difficulty. Occasionally I have lost adhesion between the gold and nickel layer. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to prevent this from occurring.

Thank you very much! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrea Ruggiero
- Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America

2004

Andrea have you tried polishing the surface before deposition? Is surface roughness an issue you think?

Robin Pang Sui Ting

(No "dead threads" here! If this page isn't currently on the Hotline your Q, A, or Comment will restore it)