METALLIC TESTS FOR PLATINUM

(2003)

AS A RESPECTED ANTIQUE DEALER I MUST GUARANTEE THE ITEMS I SELL. SILVER AND GOLD ITEMS ARE NOT A PROBLEM SINCE I AM FAMILIAR WITH THE VARIOUS TESTS AND HAVE THE EQUIPMENT NECESSARY TO PREFORM THE TESTS. I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE TEST FOR PLATINUM. CAN YOU ADVISE ME THE PROCEDURES TO TEST A PLATINUM OBJECT SO I CAN ASSURE MY CUSTOMERS OF IT'S METALLIC CONTENT. THANK YOU. ...

NICHOLAS EVANS
- MELBOURNE, FLORIDA, USA

(2003)

Dear Nicholas,

A simple scratch test can be done for platinum. If you have a scratch test kit, check the instructions for testing platinum or get a new test kit that includes the platinum test pin. The scratch test kits are available from most of the larger jewelers supply houses.

Jim Sivertsen
- Alden, New York, U.S.A.

(2003)

You can find out the density of the item by weighing it in air and in water. The density of platinum is 21.45g/cc.

Len Wang
- Greenbelt, Maryland, USA