-----

"Where to buy "sulfonic acid"?"

1998

I need to have information (chemical name and molecular formula) about an additive - sulfonic acid - that we are currently buying from a supplier.

I searched on many books but I didn't find this product, only many derivatives of sulfonic acid. I think that this is only a commercial name.

Thanks in advance
Francesca

Francesca Assone
electroplating shop - Torino, Italy
^

simultaneous 1998

Francesca,

Sulfonic acid is not a commercial name. Actually, as you have noticed, sulfonic acid is a general name for all the organic chemicals which contain a -SO3H radical. As a result, there are numerous sulfonic acids which functions vary significantly with the other groups and their numbers in the chemicals. As an additive, it is generally a mixture of a few different chemicals with solvent. I do not think your supplier would like to give the names of exact chemicals in the additive.

Ling

Ling Hao
- Grand Rapids, Michigan
^

1998

Some one has to go back and study their organic chemistry more closely. Sulfonic acid is the general formula of

R-SO4H, where R can be a multitude of various organic structures. In some instances, the H is also replaced with an organic group.

If you are looking for the most common sulfonic acid found in plating, it would be Methane Sulfonic Acid, generally used in Tin/Lead (solder) plating. It's formula is CH3SO4H.

Richard Zuendt
- Garfield, New Jersey
^

1998

You probably need methyl sulfonic acid. Search for it under that name. Most distributors of plating chemicals should be able to get it for you.

bill vins
Bill Vins
microwave & cable assemblies - Mesa (what a place-a), Arizona

^

2006

Just to clarify, a sulfonic acid is the -SO3H, the -SO4H is a sulfate. For example the Methyl sulfonic acid is: CH3-SO3H-

Enrique Villavicencio
- Mexico City
^

2007

Dear Sir, I would like to buy sulfonic acid of 99% purity. I can't find it anywhere. What are the other names that I could use in search engines.

Emlyn Dsilva
Manufacturing boosters - UAE
^