-----

The Polishing of Anodized Aluminum

2003

Q. I'm attempting to polish the grill of a 1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero. The grill made of aluminum that has been anodized, and I'm not familiar with that aspect of polishing (The anodized part that is). What different methods need to be used and from start to finish, how hard is the process? (And can anyone detail this for me). Thanks in advance for any time spent on this topic.

Don MacMillan
polishing - Milford, Delaware

"Metal Polishing Tips"

Affil. Link
Your purchases make finishing.com possible

2004

A. I know of only one way to polish anodized aluminum without stripping it, on my 62 Impala SS I tried using small buffing wheel on a 90 degree dye grinder with a kit I bought at Sears that has different compounds in, I started with what's called tripoli [affil link] (brown) and finished with red jeweler's rouge [affil link], just follow the instructions on the back and you won't go wrong, the parts I polished started out almost white and now they are close to chrome, still a little dull but thats what it was supposed to look like, hope this helps.

Rusty Mason
- Baytown, Texas