-----

Formulation of Plating Chemicals / Role of a Chemical Engineer

2003

I am a working as a trainee at a zinc and tin electroplating unit in India. I am studying the various formulations for degreasers, brighteners and passivation chemicals. As a starter, I would like to know the basic combination of chemicals that goes into each of the above. I would appreciate any help in this regard.

Nandini [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Madras, Tamil Nadu, India

2003

What is the role of a Chemical Engineer in a Metal finishing Industry and what are his Duties and Responsibilities ?

RamaKrishna Adivistnu
- Visakhapatnam, AndhraPradesh, India

2003

Dear Ramakrishna,

Is that a technical question or a philosophical one?

There are a lot of areas of work that go into running a plating plant, and I guess that you have to understand and manage your scope of work to start with.

Nandhini, before you, is a trainee trying to get at grips with her work; she asks for formulas of plating chemicals. Welcome to the grey zone, this is the challenge to the newcomer in the industry.

I'd give both of you full marks for very quickly realising that this should be your topmost priority ; that is to understand the process first. Do this by walking your line and mastering your lab techniques.

All the best.

Khozem Vahaanwala
Khozem Vahaanwala
Saify Ind
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
saify logo