-----

Surface Finish Conversions

2003

Is there a direct conversion from Surface finish measured in RMS to Rz. I can calculate a theoretical RMS value of a machined part by knowing the tool nose radius and the tool feed rate, but I'm not sure about Rz. The Rz is a measurement system that some of my customers are going to, and it would be helpful to know how it can be related to the tooling.

Joe Kamens
- Detroit, Michigan, USA

2003

I think I've answered this question before; however, not exactly correct. Rz is almost the same as RMS, except it is a 10 point ISO standard of reading and averaging 5 peaks and valleys.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
retired business owner - Hatboro, Pennsylvania