-----

Titanium Nitride Coating Standards?

2003

I am an Engineer with a power tool accessories company.

As part of my companies wish to expand our product offering of drills to the industrial market, I am looking for information or a listing on any published standards for titanium nitride coating.

Specifically for cutting tools (drills). I am looking to educate myself on the requirements of the industrial market.

Issues like surface adhesion, surface finish and thickness of coating.

Your help is appreciated.

Nathan Cantlon
- Ronan, Montana, USA

"Titanium Nitride Coatings on Tool Steels"

Affil. Link
Your purchases make finishing.com possible

2003

A. There are no standards for TiN coating of drills. There are many companies in the field, all of whom claim to have the best coating. My suggestion is that you get a listing of the tool coaters, send them samples, and set up a comparison test. Allow them to select the coating. TiN is a good coating, but it is one of many.

jim treglio portrait
Jim Treglio - scwineryreview.com
PVD Consultant & Wine Lover - San Diego,
California

2003

A. Well, there is AMS2444 [affil. link], first published in 1992, revised in 2000. It calls out thickness, adhesion, and quality for acceptance tests, using a variety of test methods for thickness, a tape test for adhesion, and visual inspections to determine 'quality'. It's all that I know of covering this process, and is limited to TiN. It's worth a look.

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist - E. Aurora, New York