-----

Electroplating Holly Leaves of Heirloom Christmas Decoration

2003

I have a beautiful heirloom Christmas decoration to repair. I understand that it originates from a silversmith working on the west coast of the US. It has been damaged I have repaired all I can apart from the electroplated holly leaves. I assume that copper was used to provide the basic cover and am guessing that highlights have been added with gold leaf. Can anyone help in telling me how I can prepare replacement leaves and guide me as to a recipe / procedure to help in returning the decoration to its former splendor? With grateful thanks to anyone out there who can offer guidance!

Scott Wilson
- Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom

2003

Please send a photo, Scott, so we can really understand the situation. There is some introductory material at www.finishing.com/faqs/organic.shtml, but I hope you recognize that such an electroplating project requires professional equipment & plating solutions, and experience. I think you need to find someone who already plates flowers and leaves, rather than using a precious heirloom as your starter project. Good luck with the project!