-----

GCSE information needed please!

2003

I am a student at college studying my GCSE's in the last year. I must take an exam next month for my resistant materials project. To do this I have to do some research about outdoor furniture and the materials, joints and finishes that I could possibly use if I were to make some outdoor furniture of my own. It would be a great help if you could send me any information you know or have that could help me with this.

Many Thanks,

Samantha Goddard
- Exeter, Devon, England

2003

A very open question and to be honest I cannot expect anyone to give you the answer you want. However, I would suggest you consider the following aspects:

Materials.
1) Is it easy to fabricate;
2) Is it weatherproof;
3) Is it attractive;
4) How much does it cost;
5) Does the material need protection.

Joints:
1) Will they withstand being outside;
2) Will they collect water and start to rust/rot/decay;
3) Are they suitable for the material(s) used;

Finishes;
1) Does the material need finishing;
2) Is it cheap;
3) Is it attractive;
4) Will the finish protect the material;
5) Can you do it or will you subcontract the job;
6) Will the finish need to be applied before or after assembling the furniture (i.e., if you make chairs from steel and weld them together, there is no sense in painting the steel before you weld it - it will burn off).

Think in terms of how to protect and keep attractive materials such as wood, plastic and metals.

ad