Best sanding discs for cutting stainless steel?

2003

Q. I have a 9" disk sander that I use to make small angle adjustments to type 304L stainless thin wall tubing. I currently run a 36 grit disk on it ... but it takes FOREVER and burns the pad up quickly...

Are there any sanding discs that are made specifically for cutting stainless?

Rad Craig
- Chouteau, Oklahoma

2003

A. Not enough information here to give best suggestion. What are the overall dimensions of the part. Why do you use flexible pad systems instead of rigid?

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Hatboro, Pennsylvania

2003

A. Not being completely sure of what you are doing, I always cut stainless, whether it be tube, pipe or sheet, with a cutting wheel on the grinder. Typically a 4" grinder with a Norton 1/16" cutting wheel. The bigger material, the bigger grinder and wheel. It cuts fairly quickly, depending on the size of the job of course. I've even rented gas powered 2 cycle concrete cutters with cutting wheels.

K Stout
- Cincy, Ohio

Q. Dear sir. I want to cut SS202 material in length of 11 mm; job OD is 128mm. Which grade insert will I use?

shailendra prajapati
pioneer industry - ujjain madhay pradesh