-----

Need Antique Brass Decorative Finish on Nickel Coated Hardware

2003

I have some decorative cabinet hardware (locks, striker plates, hinges) for installation that looks as if the hardware has been nickel coated. I'd like to finish the new hardware's visual surfaces with an antique brass finish. Any ideas? Should I strip the nickel fror adequate adhesion and is there a good durable organic finish, commercially available or applied, that I could use? Any other considerations? I'm not looking for an exact match, but would like something visually similar to antique brass - in order to match with existing hardware present. Thanks!

Jerry Boyd
- Louisville, Colorado, USA

2003

My suggestion would be that you look for hardware that already has the finish you need, Mr. Boyd. There are several issues here. First, even if you knew exactly what is on the hardware now and want you want it to be, you'll probably find the cost shocking. The largest cost of almost anything is labor, and when OEM hinges are made, one operator processes hundreds or thousands at a time; in your case he'll be spending a few hours on a handful of parts. Second, you don't know exactly what is on the hardware now, so stripping and reactivating it may be an experiment. Finally, the expensive finish you get may not be what you visualized anyway.

Things can certainly be plated or replated, so I don't want to completely overstate the case, but replating is usually reserved for very expensive hardware or items of sentimental value.