-----

Chrome look on soft materials?

2003

I work for a circus and I'm trying to make things safer for some young acrobats. I have some rubber bols that I need to give a shiny metallic finish to. Is it possible to chrome rubber, urethane, silicone, or plastic? How long would the finish last on the surface which is flexed and impacted regularly? Are their other ways to achieve a shiny, metal like finish on the above materials?

Rhiannon Snaith
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada

2005

I am interested in the same application for a piece of costume jewelry.

Ray Grden
- Phoenix, Arizona, USA

2005

Rhiannon: Real chrome plating is possible but's it's overkill for this application and not well suited to applying to a flexible material. I think the new generation of chrome-look paints, as offered by our supporting advertisers shown in the banner near the bottom of the page would be a better idea.

Ray: It's not really the 'same application' so I'm a little confused. The costume jewelry is rubber-like and flexible? If so, perhaps the same suggestion is applicable. Good luck.