-----

"Thin gold film on fibre optic cores"

1998

I wish to gold coat small sections of fibre optic cores.

The process would involve stripping the section of fibre optic core of its jacket and cladding, then giving it a gold coating of an even thickness (500 angstroms, about 5 micrometers). I know how to electroplate metals, but the plastic/glass fibre optic cores are unknown. I have access to a sputter coating machine, but this would give an uneven coat, thickening near the gold source.

There are facilities here for some construction of baths, etc. and there are fume cupboards and toxin disposal regimes in place, ie. I have a safe working environment, and I am able to build small things. Also we have suppliers for chemicals and basic electronics.

Only solicitations involving equipment that can perform this task will be appreciated.

Aaron Hicks
IVABS, Massey University - Palmerston North, New Zealand
^

1998

Aaron,

I suggest you look to the printed circuit board people in your country and think about using electroless gold. Two reasons are:

1. Electroless plating systems have been routinely been used for plated through holes in polymer/glass and polymer/mineral composites for decades.

2. Electroless coatings in theory are supposed to be uniform re; thickness.

Paul Stransky
- Putnam, Connecticut
^

2000

I want to KNOW IF SOMEONE KNOWS THE PROCESS TO RECLAIM THE GOLD OFF OF COMPUTER COMPONENTS,.... JAMIE

JAMIE WHITTED
- UNION CITY, California
^