topic 19039, page 3

How to restore antique cook stoves

Jacobs Manufacturing wood stove
Carole Lowe's
"Jacobs Manufacturing" stove
Brand Stove wood stove
Ron Slater's
"Brand Stove Co."

1       2       3

A discussion started in 2003 & continuing through 2017 . . .

Q. Hello, I need to know where to find a copy of the assembly guide for parts for a 1900 Eagle wood stove.

Mario Thompson
- Due West, South Carolina, USA

Q. I have acquired a Columbian Choice 6 plate cast iron cook stove ca. 1926. made by Keeley Stove Co., Columbia PA. Aside from needing cleanup, it is in decent working condition. However. I have discovered a hole in the lower side of the cast iron body next to the oven. It is not visible from the front and is at the very bottom of the side panel. The oven box is intact but whoever had the stove prior, tried to patch the hole on the exterior with what looks like automobile body putty. I scraped it all off, but now I have an opening at the lowest point on the side to deal with. It measures about 3 inches in height by 12 inches in length. It needs to be patched or filled. I fear it will smoke once I fire it up. I am at a loss as to how to repair it. Can anyone help?

S.B. [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Salisbury, Pennsylvania

Q. Am thinking about restoring my wood burning stove and have some questions. What is the best method to protect a wood burning stove -- high temperature paint or stove polish? [Ed. note: for this question please see thread 11428, "Restoring a cast iron wood stove completely covered in rust"]

Also does anyone have any information on a Atlanta 828 Challenger wood burning stove (such as manuals or parts)? Where can you find firebox grates for wood burning stoves? Are there any type of bolts that are better when replacing them? How are trivets used on wood burning stoves? Thanks for any help.

John Smedley
- Mission, Texas, USA

Q. Hi, we are inquiring about a Monogram stove 4c80, Monogram Industries, Quincy, Ill. Can you tell me if it is a gas, coal or wood burning stove?

Gail Little
- Crystal, Michigan, United States

Q. I am beginning research and work on a Washington Stove Works Olympic stove. I am looking for an owner's manual and information regarding paint/sealer as I am removing surface rust.

Brett Martin
- Topeka, Kansas, USA

Q. What is the best method of preserving a cook stove being left outside in a covered area. Our climate can get very damp in the winter. This is for namaste and not for use. Thinking about wiping with some type of oil. Thanks for your time. Grant

Grant Lange
- Port Alberni, BC, Canada

A. Hi Grant. Bare steel or cast iron will rust quickly outdoors. I think you'd be better off with a high quality paint job than with oil. Good luck.

Q. I am in desperate need of finding information on a Muscogee stove. I have searched the web with no results. Could someone please please please help me!

Mindi

Mindi Pittman
- Aiken, South Carolina, United States of America

Q. Magee Grand 1901 Cookstove. Does anyone know where I can find parts for this beautiful stove
I need a grate, damper and side car...anything that would pertain to this stove

Rusti Wolny
- Equality, Alabama, USA

19039-7
(photo from www.goodtimestove.com)

A. Hi Rusti. You might try The Love Barn in Oland, ME at www.antiquecookstove.com, or Good Time Stove in Goshen, MA at www.goodtimestove.com
They both sell restored and unrestored antique cookstoves, claim to have some cookstove parts, have some Magee stoves listed, and probably have the experience to guide you. Good luck.

I recently purchased a camp that has a Quincy Stove Manufacturing Co. Monogram wood/ gas stove in it. Is it possible to use wood in for the heat in the oven section of this stove? and if so, How would I go about doing this?

Lisa Buchko
- Spaulding, Michigan, USA

Q. I have a Round Oak kitchen cook stove that burns 16 inch wood. I need new wood box grates, not the shaker grates in the bottom. Looks like there are 4. The inner or fire exiting side is warped and broken. I have the model and serial info. and would like to find a foundry or company that could help me. Thanks.

Darrell Jones
personal, retired - Crystal, Maine, USA

Q. I am needing suggestions on how to refinish the enamel coating to my antique copper clad malleable wood cookstove; not in bad shape at all but has some cosmetic issues. It is white with the mint green trim. Can I paint it to get the same glossy finish, or is it better to polish. It has a couple of surface rust spots and the left side damper slot has some kind of bond under the damper door that is a cream and is not smooth otherwise in good shape. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

antique wood stove-8 antique wood stove-9

Rebecca Wright
- Jonesborough, Tennessee

Enterprise Oak wood or coal stove #215

Q. We have a enterprise oak #215 we can't find any like it on the net to see if we are missing any parts and how old it might be ... any help is appreciated.

19039-elizA-1  19039-elizA-2  19039-elizA-3

Elizabeth Authement
- sulphur, Louisiana usa

Q. I have a Diamond King wood burning cook stove made by Jacob's Mfg. Bridgeport Ala. that was used by my Husband's Grandmother. It seems to be all there, just needs TLC. Our problems, first, I can't find any information online about "Kitchen King" stoves. The oven door, although it does not seem broken or any parts missing, has no catch or way of staying closed.I would appreciate any help or advise anyone out there has. Thanks

Georgia Lowery
- Eureka, Missouri USA

A. I purchased a wood stove from my uncle in Wisconsin; it was in pieces. He told me to go to a welding shop and have them replace the belly of the stove with black metal. Then I got a roll of asbestos that I put in the seams to make it air tight. I used a spray can of paint black 5000 °F to paint the metal before I put it together.

If you have cracks in cast iron you can weld it with a stick welder using welding rods for cast iron.

I am not sure but perhaps rustoleum has black metal paint in a spray can you can paint your stove.

Also, on my stove all the cast iron has a nickel finish and I just wire brushed it and it looks just like new.

Auspot

William Smith
- Big Spring, Texas

Jacobs Diamond King stove

Q. I have an old Jacobs Mfg co wood cook stove with the Diamond King name on it. There are some things on this stove I am not sure about. Controls ... There is a piece in the back with a protector spring on it; don't know what it does. There is also a flap under the oven door and don't know what that does either. Thanks for any help.

michael allen
- galax, Virginia

Q. We purchased a Premier dual gas/wood cook stove; we need help finding some missing parts and I haven't been able to find anything so far.
The enamel is great on the stove, but I think it is missing a piece that holds up the plates on the wood burning side.

19039-10a  19039-10b  19039-10c  19039-10d

I would appreciate any help or information at all.

Gina Collins
- Winthrop, Maine

Q. As with others, I too am looking for parts for Washington Stove Works Parlor Stove No. 42.
To start with I need a foot/leg.
Thank you for this site as well; has helped me a lot.
There has to be a stove boneyard someplace in this wonderful country of ours with lots of parts. Please help me.

Rick Brower
So. Lake Tahoe, California

A. Hi Rick. A few were mentioned earlier on in this thread.

The Barnstable Stove Shop in Barnstable, MA seems to be one more such place.
Maybe AntiqueStoves.com in Tekonsha, MI is another.
Woodman's Parts Plus in East Wakefield, NH is a possible third.

If anyone has names of other such boneyards we'll be happy to list them here, but we don't print testimonials that "Store X is better than Y" because it makes for hostility and gets a little bit silly considering the anonymity of the internet, with sales managers sometimes posting with fictitious names as "satisfied customers" :-)

thumbs up signI want to thank you for the great response on where to get stove parts. I think the idea of posting ALL the places and bone yards of stove parts is a great idea and would answer about half the questions on this site, maybe it could be posted on a header page for this blog so lazy folks like me who don't read all the other posts can, most likely, have their question answered from the git go.
Of course no recommendations or the references.
Thanks again,
Rick

Rick Brower [returning]
- So. Lake Tahoe, California USA

Thanks Rick. If anyone wants to prepare such a list, I'd be happy to put their posting near the top of the page instead of having it perhaps get lost in the middle :-)

But it makes no sense for me to make such a list of names of companies myself, when I've never talked to or checked with any of those companies, and have no woodstoves myself nor much interest in them ... and then prominently position the list as if it were authoritative work when I actually have no idea who on that list really has parts and who doesn't :-)

Jacobs Heater Corporation

Q. Good afternoon, is there any information available regarding Jacobs Potbelly stoves? I have recently picked up a No 117 P from the curbside. Thanks!

Dan McCool
- Scotch Plains, New Jersey

Q. I have a south bend malleable wood cook stove. The cast iron top is pitted so much so that it needs a new top. Any suggestions where to look for one?

jacky engebretson
- clearbrook, Minnesota

Replacement fire bricks for Prizer coal cook stove - Senate model

Q. We have a Prizer Senate coal cook stove that we use in our basement for heat. It really could use new fire bricks - all else is in fairly good shape - want to have these bricks to do a change over after the winter months. Where can I find them?

19039-11

Sandra J Rittenhouse
owner - Sugarloaf, Pennsylvania USA

Firebrick, pack of 6

A. Hi Sandra. Hopefully another reader will correct me, but I don't think custom size firebrick packages will be available for old stoves considering the hundreds of brands and thousands of models. I believe what you must do is buy standard size firebricks (they're about the size of concrete pavers) and saw them to shape with a concrete saw as I did for my old woodstove (actually my son ran the concrete saw). If you don't have a friend with a concrete saw and the muscles, the brick can probably be cut by a homeowner with a large enough tile saw. Good luck.

Q. I have a very old cast iron cook stove it was made in Chattanooga Tennessee. I have searched over and over for pictures like my stove and can't find any at all. But I am wondering is there a place that sales cast iron replacement parts for antique cook stove I only need to pieces and rather not have it brazed cause last time someone tried to braze it wasn't done right. So would rather find the replacement parts for the stove.

Anne Davidson-Lamb
- Hilham, Tennessee, united States of America

Grates for Home Comfort Wood Cookstove (cream and green)

Q. I own a beautiful green and cream Home Comfort Wood Cookstove; ? of model but looks like AE1927. The stove has some broken side grates and I need replacement grates for these. I would appreciate any help in locating these grates. Thank you very much,

Carolyn C [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
owner of beautiful stove - Pembroke, Virginia USA

Readers: If you want this thread to be more than just a place to add one more unanswered question to a list of hundreds of other unanswered questions, be the change you'd like to see!

The editors can help to a limited degree with some metal finishing questions, but there are no wood stove historians standing by in the wings; there are only hundreds of other readers with somewhat similar questions. You have to post what you know and engage in a dialog, and help to build a helpful resource if that's what you want :-)

If you just want somebody to free of charge to help you out unidirectionally, that approach doesn't seem to be working :-(

Q. I purchased a Kalamazoo Presidential coal/wood cook stove. Does anyone have an installation manual or advice as to a thru the wall installation?

jean Smith
- Shunk, Pennsylvania USA

I am looking for parts for a Jewel Enterprise wood burning cook stove. Where can I find parts??

Edwin Dixon
UAB - Cullman, Alabama USA

Q. I have found a Moore's Bro. Cook stove. It is in bad condition. It's cream/green porcelain or enamel. It would be beautiful and I would love it if I knew I could repair it. Anyone have any info. On this stove?

Marlene Tackett
Hobbist/user - Morehead, Kentucky

A. Homestead Vintage Stove Company has many hard to find parts for these antique wood ranges: Monarch, Majestic, Home Comfort, Cribben & Sexton Universal, and a few others.

Rex Bakel
Homestead Vintage Stove Company - Centralia, Washington USA

Q. I have old wood parlor stove each piece is marked Glen w p 1903,1903 5 1903 2 3 etc. I am not having lot of luck figuring out how to assemble all the parts or if it is a remanufactured piece or a nice find. Please help.

Harold J Caudill
- Goshen Indiana USA

Q. Does anyone know where to gets parts for a antique stove it's a madador need wood grate and porcelain squares for the warmer box on top shelf. Also porcelain piece for left side door. Help. Thanks

Roberta Padilla
- Bernalillo, New Mexico USA

A. Hi Roberta. Dave B suggested in 2006 going to any local foundry for the cast iron parts. Erica D reinforced this on January 11, 2008 by saying that people with parts on hand generally don't want to sell them because they want to sell a whole stove. I mentioned two possible sources of parts on October 29, 2013, and three more possible places in April 2015, and Rex Bakel mentioned yet another on January 9, 2017 :-)

Please contact a couple of them and tell your fellow stove owners what these places said about your parts. Thanks.

Q. I have recently come into possession of a Martin Stove & Range "Junior" no 7-14 A stove. It is missing a few parts unfortunately. Can I replace the firebox grate with a steel one? I don't want to run the risk of it expanding and damaging the stove, but it will be much easier to get one made out of steel since I don't have a mold. Thanks.

Glen Buss
- Roy, Utah, USA

A. Hi Glen. The coefficient of expansion of steel is only 5-10% higher than that of cast iron. I wouldn't foresee any issues with any drop-in parts.

Q. Hi I just scored a beautiful Monarch Cook Stove and need to restore it. So I have 2 questions. One how do I remove the shaker grate from the stove? I can't find any manuals, free or to purchase. And second, the shaker grate is a little warped; it still rotates but is a little janky. Should I replace it and where should I get one. I've heard there are places that do new casts of them. Any ideas anyone. It would be much appreciated. Thank you for any wisdom you can throw my way.

Katina Emrick
- Grants Pass, Oregon

Q. Have a Quick Meal wood stove and need a top for it . It is the one that goes over the fire box It's 11 1/4 x 23 1/4 Has 2 holes

Hodiak Clay Ewing
Hodiak Outfitters - Arboles Co. USA

Q. Where can I find information on Malleable Range Co. Copperclad model PB83-BM2 to restore wood cooking stove?

Clyde Harvey
retired - Wapella Illinois U.S.A.

A. Hi Clyde. If you just put that company name and model number into Google, there is a lot of general info, and you can even pay for expert answers. But on this site you need to ask a specific question, and we focus on the metal finishing aspects, rather than valuations, history, or stuff like that. Good luck.

A. I just read through the three pages of this thread and did not see anyone mention Lehman's Hardware out of Kidron, Ohio. They cater to the non electric customer and sell cookstoves and have a parts section. https://www.lehmans.com/category/stove-parts

jerry_smith
Jerry Smith
Little Falls Alloys, Inc. - Bloomingdale, New Jersey, USA

1       2       3

Readers: Please see also thread 13218 "Restoring Nickel Plating on Wood Cookstove",
and thread 11428 "Restoring a cast iron wood stove completely covered in rust".