Plating onto Calcium Carbonate or Seashells

1998

I am interested in finding out how to plate a decorative coating on porous calcium carbonate. The part I want to plate is very much like a seashell.

Bruce M. Clemens
Stanford University - Stanford, California

1998

You will see the general approach for plating miscellaneous non metallic objects of art at www.finishing.com/faqs/organic.shtml

Two cautions: first, these hints cover only the very basic ideas; it is not easy to do this kind of plating, and you will be faced with much experimentation and development effort. Second, a porous carbonate will probably dissolve almost explosively in acid; you will need to seal the item very effectively in some kind of wax or lacquer before you start the plating process.

1998

Bruce,

I agree with Ted again. I would recommend an immersion process. This would allow for more detail to be preserved. Additionally, you would have a larger selection of coatings to select from, and a cost savings.

Todd

Todd Miller
Oceanside California