Garage Plating

1998

I was just reading how to get started in plating and you basically say "NO" unless you have a shop. I know a few people that gold brush plate out of there garages, they have never had a problem and say it is no big deal. Is gold plating really that bad? I am asking this because I bought a portable gold plating machine last year and I was trying to sell it because I didn't want to mess around with the chemicals, I now need money to pay off the loan for the plater and I am really considering using it. What is your opinion? What about all of those non-cyanide / non-arsenic golds. Thanks for any response you may give; by the way, your website is very informative.

barrett russell
Barrett Russell
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

1998

Hello Barrett. You've asked me for my opinion after you have already quoted it! That is usually a sign that you are trying to talk yourself or me into something because you didn't like my answer :-)

We have advertisers here who offer portable gold plating machines, and who apparently share the opinion that plating in a garage is no big deal. We also have some 'regulars' here who have shared my opinion that plating by amateurs is a no-no.

There really isn't much more I can say, except that plating in a garage certainly will not inevitably lead to problems, but the likelihood is greater than I am comfortable with. Good luck.