Protecting Forged Chrome Golf Clubs

2002

I just purchased a set of Forged Muscleback Blade golf irons that are chrome. I was wondering if and what is the best way to protect the chrome and keep the finish looking good and lasting longer. I heard that putting car wax on the irons will work just fine.

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Joshua Lancy
- Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States

2002

From both a professional and a personal standpoint, paste wax works best, not car polish (which generally contains an abrasive for cleaning). This is the old fashioned simonize paste. You can also get clear paste wax at Home Depot, etc for use on furniture but its basically the same.

I am using 35 year old irons, waxed periodically and have not rust.

Good luck on and off the course.

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York

2002

I agree with the paste wax idea, but would add the caveat of keeping it off the face of the club - it may create just enough surface smoothness to effect the ball/clubface friction, and lower the ball spin (or possibly cause an inadvertent shanking of said ball). That said, hit 'em long and straight!

Dan Brewer
chemical process supplier - Gurnee, Illinois