Pit liner for Sulphuric acid 98%

2002

I am wanting to seal a concrete bund area exposed to direct weather. The tank in the bund area holds 98% sulphuric acid at ambient temperature. I been suggested to seal possibly with HDPE 2mm liner or PVC 3mm sheet welded together. Also some have suggested some epoxy resin. Please help with any information.

Kind regards,

Gough Robinson
- Townsville,Qld, Australia

2002

Hi Gough !

May I suggest that you only use uPVC (i.e., a high quality unplasticized sheet and NOT a flexible PVC).

Pe, according to the data sheets, is nbg at 98% and if exposed to the elements then, unless it's black, it will be UV attacked as well... and, I feel, that epoxy would be totally useless, chemically speaking... ditto for any polyester or vinyl ester resin.

I don't know what a 'bund' is ... is that an Oz word?

Maybe # 12244, 18942 & perhaps 5392 in the archives might help.

Further, why not place some aluminum foil tape under the welds. Then you can spark test for weld integrity.

Freeman Newton [dec.]
White Rock, British Columbia, Canada

(It is our sad duty to advise that Freeman passed away