Help with selecting the correct coating

2002

I'm looking for assistance with selecting the correct coating for my application. The relevant information:

- I'm using autophoretic coating currently
- The material is 1020 steel
- The part geometry is long, tubular
- My requirements for corrosion is 96-hour salt fog (automotive test procedures)
- My requirements for durability are moderate (some exposure to bumps, scratches, abrasions, etc.) however I would not consider this a heavy wear part.
- Appearance requirements: part visible to end-user and must be appealing.

I'm trying to reduce cost and still satisfy my customer requirements. Which coating will meet the above requirements for the least cost? Any suggestions?

Greg Miller
- Troy, MI USA

2003

Have you considered a simple e-coat or zinc plating? It does not sound like the requirements for your part are very demanding. It all depends on what kind of appearance is "appealing."

tim neveau
Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan