Where to start electropolishing?

2002

Question: Is it possible to use a DC motor as a generator to create sufficient current for the electropolishing of 300 series stainless steel? I don't want to put up the large investment for a rectifier if I can possibly avoid it. I build about 4 to 10 products a month (growing rapidly) and so far I have been hand polishing each one to a mirror finish. In a nut shell, I want to implement a small polishing operation for me product. Any input, such as electrolyte purchasing, temperature, amperage, voltage, and any other info that might help me get started would be very helpful.

Kenneth Forrester
- Villa Rica, GA, USA

2002

Starting an electropolishing operation is like having a baby. You can want to keep it small, but being such a highly regulated business, you'll probably find that impossible. Electropolishing, like electroplating, is a jobshop oriented business though. If you search around you will find shops who can do your parts for you for much less than you would spend trying to set up an operation yourself. Ted Mooney, finishing.com Teds signature