Mazac, chrome and ceramic coatings

2002

Help needed, please! I would like to know if there is a better substitute for Mazac (or 'pot metal') for automotive usage. I am commissioning some reproduction chromed Mazac castings for an old Alfa Romeo. I need an alloy which is light, will flow well in a mold to reproduce fine detail, which is reasonably corrosion-resistant and which will accept a chrome plated finish. A tall order, perhaps, but I would have thought that someone has come up with a better idea in the past 40 years...

I have also heard about chrome-finish ceramic coating.

Does anyone know where this can be done in the UK,

and is it suitable for application onto all metals?

Thanks for your help!

Alex Twitchell
- London, England

2007

MAZAC vs. ZAMAC. In England this alloy is often referred to as MAZAC although it contains around 95 % zinc and according to the rules of chemistry the Z should come first. I have heard that the name MAZAC could be a registered trade mark. I would be glad to get any info on this subject.

Jacques Dujardin
Design office engineer - Rémalard, France

Sorry to say but your needs to chrome plate the detail will only give you one possible candidate for the casting: brass.

Bengt Blad
- Uppsala, Sweden

Hi, Bengt. I certainly won't argue that brass is the nicest material for the casting! But zinc and aluminum die castings can be chrome plated. Those beautiful chrome plated chain guards on Harleys are aluminum die castings.