Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

Relevance of Salt Spray Test

adv.   auto technology banner

2002

Dealing with mineral oil based rust preventives I have often observed that the salt spray test are often not very reproducible. I also came to know that salt spray is no longer a requirement in many of the European and US auto manufacturers in case of the rust preventives coated in the cold rolled steel. Does anybody have any article stating the non-correlation of the salt spray tests in case of rust preventives (mineral oil based).

Thanks and warm regards,

I. Banerjee
- Kolkata, India

2002

I have not heard that; but it may well be true.

However, salt spray testing is a very useful tool--not to estimate real-world life but to demonstrate consistency and quality in processing. If you are getting inconsistent salt spray test results, while it is perhaps possible that oiled finishes always perform inconsistently, I also would not dismiss the possibility that you are trying to throw out the most powerful quality control tool in your arsenal.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

2002

Automotive companies are increasingly moving towards using cyclic corrosion test methods such as GM9540P and SAE J2334 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet]. These tests use different test solutions and chamber conditions in an attempt to correlate lab results to proving ground results and real-life service. I don't think any corrosion test directly correlates to real life or any other test, but cyclic tests may be better.

tim neveau
Tim Neveau
Rochester Hills, Michigan