The world's most popular metal finishing site, and the internet's friendliest corner

Anodising on Titanium

2002

Anodising on titanium. I'm trying to anodise(sulphuric natural) some titanium coins to the sample I have. The sample has a blue colored finish but no dyes have been used. Is there a way of getting this same colour on a large quantity of parts. Any info would be gratefully welcomed.

Mark Strong
- UK

First of two simultaneous responses -- 2002

You have to find the correct voltage for that shade of blue. My guess is around 20 V. Also, remember that the surface roughness also affects the hue or the density of the color.

Second of two simultaneous responses -- 2002

Although I haven't personally done decorative anodizing of titanium, I am not aware of sulfuric acid being used for it. Usually it's a milder electrolyte like coca-cola or trisodium phosphate [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. You are right that no dyes are required--the color is integral and dependent on the voltage used. If you search the site, I recall a few letters where the required voltage for different colors was estimated.