Effect of hard anodized coating to the furnace

2002

Our company has been approached to do solution treatment and precipitation hardening on 7075 aluminium. These part has been hard anodized. They want to do the heat treatment without stripping the coating. I'm worried about the effect of the coating to our furnace and quenching. Can it be contaminated. Do you think it possible?

Thanks for the help.

Zuraida Mohamed
- Selangor, Malaysia

2002

I don't know the temperatures involved in those heat treatments, and I suspect they may have adverse effect on the anodized coating--namely causing it to craze. An anodized coating, per se, is just aluminum oxide; there should be nothing volatile in it. If it has some special dyeing, or perhaps a teflon impregnated sealing, I suppose it is not impossible that they could effect you equipment depending on the actual processes.