Stripping paint from antique brass register

2002

I have an antique NCR brass cash register that was painted once upon a time that I would like to restore. I've read all the past letters for a while but none deal with the beginning problem of paint. Can anyone help me with the process and what products should be used? Do I have to worry about damaging the brass of such an item as I try to restore it?

Gary Patterson
- Citrus Heights, California

2002

Try using lacquer thinner [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] to remove the paint over coat. Use rubber chemical rubber gloves [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], eye protection and good ventilation. Dampen rags with the thinner and rub. Good luck.

Bill Miller
- Shinnston, WV